college facebook question

last reply
8 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hi, Was wondering if I could crowdsource a question for the college crowd, and perhaps also those recently graduated (last 10 years or so)

In my day [and Hannah / Browncoffee will call me old in 3... 2...], college students had physical printed books, called facebooks (or sometimes "menus") w pictures of all the students in a class.

Do colleges provide such things now? or would they exist in online version only? If they exist as printed things, are they still called facebooks, or is that confusing because of FACEBOOK (tm)?

Or would students simply try to find each other on social media?

The situation I'm specifically trying to sort out is how would one college student go about finding out what another student whom they don't know looks like when that person is mentioned to them.

When I was in college, everyone had one of those books in their dorm and it was easy enough to look people up that way.

I'm looking to find out if "kids today" still would go about things the same way, at least as a first step (or would they go straight to insta or whatever).

thank you!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner
Hi, Was wondering if I could crowdsource a question for the college crowd, and perhaps also those recently graduated (last 10 years or so)

In my day [and Hannah / Browncoffee will call me old in 3... 2...], college students had physical printed books, called facebooks (or sometimes "menus") w pictures of all the students in a class.

Do colleges provide such things now? or would they exist in online version only? If they exist as printed things, are they still called facebooks, or is that confusing because of FACEBOOK (tm)?

The situation I'm specifically trying to sort out is how would one college student go about finding out what another student whom they don't know looks like when that person is mentioned to them.

When I was in college, everyone had one of those books in their dorm and it was easy enough to look people up that way.

I'm looking to find out if "kids today" still would go about things the same way, at least as a first step (or would they go straight to insta or whatever).

thank you!

The only thing I can think compares to what you are talking about is a yearbook, but I don't member anything like that in college (I was in college ~10 ago) Where you at a smaller school? I was at a state college, with thousands of students so I can't even imagine how large such a book would be.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Xanaphia

The only thing I can think compares to what you are talking about is a yearbook, but I don't member anything like that in college (I was in college ~10 ago) Where you at a smaller school? I was at a state college, with thousands of students so I can't even imagine how large such a book would be.

My university had about 1100-1200 students per year. At 20 or so pix / page, it wasn't a particularly huge book. There was a yearbook as well, but this "freshman facebook," was what people consulted most often. "There's a cute girl in your lab that you like? let me see what she looks like..."

So how would something like the situation above have worked for you? Your friend would have showed you a pic of the third person on their phone? from some social media interaction? or from stalking their profile?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think you're safe on this one, old boy. When I was at college, (16-18) Facebook become a big thing. I never had a smart phone, let alone social media so nudges and covert pointing happened. At uni (18-21) a lecturer requested we all had Facebook for him to post to the class.

I'd go for social media "stalking" if I'm gambling. I'm obviously old, too. Possibly a group photo on someone's phone?

"That's that girl I was fucking last Wednesday! You fucking lucky bastard!"

I'm off to entice young women into your lair, well. Ok. Ask their opinions x
0 likes
you had a PHYSICAL facebook? omg fam, you're so old.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I know of the yearbook or annual. It was a bigger deal in high school because there were about 1200 students in my high school and nearly all had a picture in it. There were 36,000 students at my university. So the university annual only had a fraction of the students pictures. You could purchase the printed version or the CD version. And the university yearbook was probably most popular with Greeks (sorority and fraternity members).
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks all!

I think the easiest thing will be for me just to have one character show the other character a picture on her phone. KISS - keep it simple, stupid.

I appreciate the help, and the age jokes!
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner
Thanks all!

I think the easiest thing will be for me just to have one character show the other character a picture on her phone. KISS - keep it simple,

I appreciate the help, and the age jokes!

Or make it a period piece, pre-2000. Lots of cool, funny little details you could throw in.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner

thank you!

Don't know if it helps... but I think it varies a lot from uni to uni, college to college.

I have a friend reading medicine at Glasgow. She has a Year Club which raises money for their Year Book. No pics from the Year Club but there are in the Year Book which is published at their graduation.

As for me... we were posted in the College entrance opp the porters desk... so you just had to pop in to see who was who and their subjects. We all had our own uni email addresses that anyone could look up on the uni web page.
[Changed the focus for obvious reasons].