Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

As a reader which do you prefer. A first person or third person view point?

last reply
77 replies
10.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I tend to generally enjoy third-person point of view, whether it is third-person omniscient or limited. First person is fine to use, but you have to be up for the challenge of it. First person is less likely to hold my attention if it isn't done well; therefore I feel that my reader is going to feel the same. If you write in first person, your "person" has to be interesting. They have to have the personality to tell/carry the story or make you want to share their experience. Either that or they have to have a unique take on what is happening. I don't want to get lost in boring stream of consciousness too (which is what happens when people are telling stories about themselves). That is something you have to watch out for when relating a personal tale or using second person. This happened and that happened...then, shit happens. That is the way it pretty much sounds with a boring narrator. First person and second person will work, you just have to be aware of those things. If you have a hell of a character to tell the story or their approach is interesting and can carry the weight of the tale, by all means use them. I think that I have only one first person narrative on Lush right now, "Lessons". I chose to do it that way because she was in a unique position in the scene and emotional attachment.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Guest
As a reader I prefer third person...although when done well, I love the first person (like in crime novels)

In stories like those on lush, 1st person often is really an 'I love me' format, (I have a 12" cock and of course my wife has DD's, etc.). But when carefully done by a skillful author it can be very potent. You only see what the author can see and that can make for great mysteries, as referred to above.

Third person is great for most stories as it gives the author the liberty of telling just as much as he wants about each of the characters. The author actually knows everything, (omniscent), but he can pick and choose what to disclose at various times.

Can't stand the second person narrative. In fact I don't think I've finished one of these. I click off as soon as I see what it is.

If I could only choose one, it would be third.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by TraceEkies

In stories like those on lush, 1st person often is really an 'I love me' format, (I have a 12" cock and of course my wife has DD's, etc.). But when carefully done by a skillful author it can be very potent. You only see what the author can see and that can make for great mysteries, as referred to above.

Third person is great for most stories as it gives the author the liberty of telling just as much as he wants about each of the characters. The author actually knows everything, (omniscent), but he can pick and choose what to disclose at various times.

Can't stand the second person narrative. In fact I don't think I've finished one of these. I click off as soon as I see what it is.

If I could only choose one, it would be third.

This. I agree completely..

I write in 1st and 3rd, depending on the story. I tried 2nd one time. Never again.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Let's get second person narrative out of the way. Just don't do it!!!

First person POV is better for conveying stories where you want the reader to be involved in the story, as if they are a fly on the wall or even imagine themselves to be one of the characters.

The third person is more useful for a true 'story' where the reader is a bystander watching events unfold. I think more descriptive detail is possible in this type of narrative.

That's my interpretation anyway.

Danny xxx

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
I agree with Danny (always a good idea) As an author, using first or third person depends on the story. For example, the third story on my sig line is in third person, mainly cause it's from the POV of a fish. The second story uses a first-person female (human) POV. Go figure.

As a reader, I don't believe I've ever decided against reading a story because it was in first or third person. Second person is a different story.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
i like 1st person
Lurker
0 likes
Either one works if done well.

I FIND first person easier to write.

xx SF
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Either one works if done well.

I FIND first person easier to write.

xx SF

It's all me me me, lol.

I'm a sucker for true stories, and they are in the first person.
For other stories, I don't mind.
Lurker
0 likes
I like them both for different reasons.

1st POV because I like hearing a story from one or more characters POV. You know that one character relates to others, ect.

3rd POV because I like to know what everyone in the story thinking, how they feel, ect. It helps me get invested in all the characters.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TraceEkies

I agree 100%

I write pretty much exclusively in 1st person & after reading this thread I hope I do it well enough
Lurker
0 likes
ist person present tense third person past tense
0 likes
Writing in first person is a bit like acting, it requires you to get into character, which makes writing them a bit easier for me. Sometimes the distance created from a third-person perspective means I don't know my character as well - usually if I do write in 3rd person it's a close 3rd, rather than a more omniscient perspective.

I've only written one story (The Staring Contest) addressed to 'you' (2nd person), but it was told from a first person perspective. I think it turned out well, but it was relatively short, and quickly-paced. I think a real second person story would read a lot like choose your own adventure....

How fucking awesome would that be? Let's figure out how to create a choose your own erotic adventure on Lush!

Don't believe everything that you read.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I know it has been a long time since this thread was live, but nobody pointed out the great problem with first person narratives.

In a third person "fly on the wall" composition there is no limit to what information can be passed to the reader. In first person only what that person actually knows, sees and experiences can be told.

"Is this love?" (s)he asked me. is fine but not (S)he was wondering if this were love. as the first person narrator can only guess at the other people's thoughts.

Similarly, the narrator needs to be told by a someone else what happened when (s)he was not there.

All my writings are in the third person because it allows me to relate activities which are forbidden in first person, such as events my hero(ine) did not witness and the feelings of other characters.
News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) via charmbrights@yahoo.co.uk
0 likes
Quote by charmbrights
I know it has been a long time since this thread was live, but nobody pointed out the great problem with first person narratives.

In a third person "fly on the wall" composition there is no limit to what information can be passed to the reader. In first person only what that person actually knows, sees and experiences can be told.

"Is this love?" (s)he asked me. is fine but not (S)he was wondering if this were love. as the first person narrator can only guess at the other people's thoughts.

Similarly, the narrator needs to be told by a someone else what happened when (s)he was not there.

All my writings are in the third person because it allows me to relate activities which are forbidden in first person, such as events my hero(ine) did not witness and the feelings of other characters.

On the other hand, if you're trying to create mystery, you don't necessarily want to know the other points of view. Too much information ruins the tension. So limiting the information you can give by POV isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
IMO, Burquette and Charm Brights both make good points. There's a reason first-person is seldom used these days with the exception of the mystery and erotic genres. CB pointed out the advantages with mysteries. In erotic writing, first person gives a more intimate, 'up-close and personal' feel to the story. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I've tried my hand with both and encourage all other writers to do the same.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
I prefer reading stories written from a first person point of view, but like nice stories written from any point of view smile