4.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
To sum this thread up...

Lurker
0 likes
Ken Burns just came out with his new doc series.

3 Part Series. A total of 6 hours. As per usual, fantastic.

I would love to see a miniseries on Hemingway in the same style as the recent National Geographic series' on Picasso.

This is gold material.

After "Einstein" and "Picasso" Natgeo instead went in a different direction and tried to do "Mary Shelly."

Now I love Frankenstein, but please do not put her life experiences in the same league as Hemingway.

Einstein was a genius, but I don't think Picasso or Mary Shelley were. Picasso had a relatively interesting life but Mary Shelley was fucking boring.

Hemingway was not a genius, but his life would make for some seriously good viewing.

They apparently discarded Shelley for Aretha Franklin.

If the story is good... I think it should be told. But can we please refrain from using the term "genius?"
Dutchess Of Dancing
0 likes
David Bowie Five Years and the one about Mick Ronson who played with Bowie early in his career.

A secret isn't a secret if 2 know it🤐

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Exterminate all the Brutes explains, in the most heartbreaking and creative terms, how white supremacy has been the single most destructive force since before its official designation--not only in terms of how those deemed white have wreaked havoc upon all those it deems inferior (chief among those the indigenous populations of every continent), but also how unceasingly successful it has been at getting us to carry out its whims for it, as we turn on each other and on ourselves.

A necessary testimony. An essential witnessing.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Exterminate all the Brutes explains, in the most heartbreaking and creative terms, how white supremacy has been the single most destructive force since before its official designation--not only in terms of how those deemed white have wreaked havoc upon all those it deems inferior (chief among those the indigenous populations of every continent), but also how unceasingly successful it has been at getting us to carry out its whims for it, as we turn on each other and on ourselves.

I actually just watched it and came on here to suggest it.

A very unique style of documentary I might add.

PS: If you are a fan of Tucker Carlson, you will probably be triggered by this one...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
[yt]This video is private.
If the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in.[/yt]

"Three words that summarize the whole history of humanity: civilization, colonization, extermination."

"Neutrality is not an option."

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Osman

PS: If you are a fan of Tucker Carlson, you will probably be triggered by this one...

as always, i hope that they actually watch it instead of making a decision based on what they think it's about, and watch it was an open mind. my optimism showing again even though i'm sure it's misplaced.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

as always, i hope that they actually watch it instead of making a decision based on what they think it's about, and watch it was an open mind. my optimism showing again even though i'm sure it's misplaced.

I appreciate your optimism, but honestly I can't see any right winger sitting through 4 hours of this without seeing it as an attack on "whiteness."

Haha... for a moment there, I actually deluded myself into thinking that right wingers actually watch documentaries.

Unless they are made by Dinesh D'souza.
Lurker
0 likes
The War On Democracy

It shows how the US since 1945 has attempted the overthrow of over 50 other national governments (most of which were democratically elected) in favor of US corporate interests.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Osman
The War On Democracy

It shows how the US since 1945 has attempted the overthrow of over 50 other national governments (most of which were democratically elected) in favor of US corporate interests.

you should check this one out too, if you haven't already. my understanding, btw, is that there will be a "girl's state" doc released as well which mirrors this one. hoping that's true.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Osman

I appreciate your optimism, but honestly I can't see any right winger sitting through 4 hours of this without seeing it as an attack on "whiteness."

Haha... for a moment there, I actually deluded myself into thinking that right wingers actually watch documentaries.

Unless they are made by Dinesh D'souza.

were you aware that, in San Diego, CA, they recently had a "white lives matter" rally? you can't make this shit up. btw, i do think you're wrong. i am sure that right wingers watch docs. Duck Dynasty did pretty good in the ratings, if i recall. smile

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

were you aware that, in San Diego, CA, they recently had a "white lives matter" rally? you can't make this shit up. btw, i do think you're wrong. i am sure that right wingers watch docs. Duck Dynasty did pretty good in the ratings, if i recall. smile

They were actually everywhere. There was a big one in Huntington Beach too that ended up failing.

I didn't sat that right wingers don't watch docs... I said that they will hate Exterminate All the Brutes.

Right wingers love documentaries that reinforce how awesome they are...
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
The Lost Gold... Documentary about the USA and East Germany swim teams in the 1976 Olympics.
Wild at Heart
0 likes

I have the Criterion release of this and it is amazing. First watched it 20 years ago and rewatch it every 4 years as I start to get more and more excited about the olympics. It's mesmerizing.

I definitely recommend watching the Criterion release on a big screen or even better, projected as large as you can.

This was a groundbreaking film, not just for a sports documentary but for film itself. The use of close ups and slow motion and low angles were not all that common at the time, not the way Kon Ichikawa used them. I don't think sport has been captured like this since. The camera was placed like Ichikawa was filming a movie scene and not a live sporting event, it's not the angles you see on TV nowadays.

The whole thing is on youtube... The Criterion copy is remastered and just perfect. But if you don't want to spend on that, the low quality grainy English version is on youtube.

❤️️🌹Elusive Enigma 🌹❤️️
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
I have the Criterion release of this and it is amazing. First watched it 20 years ago and rewatch it every 4 years as I start to get more and more excited about the olympics. It's mesmerizing.

I definitely recommend watching the Criterion release on a big screen or even better, projected as large as you can.

This was a groundbreaking film, not just for a sports documentary but for film itself. The use of close ups and slow motion and low angles were not all that common at the time, not the way Kon Ichikawa used them. I don't think sport has been captured like this since. The camera was placed like Ichikawa was filming a movie scene and not a live sporting event, it's not the angles you see on TV nowadays.

The whole thing is on youtube... The Criterion copy is remastered and just perfect. But if you don't want to spend on that, the low quality grainy English version is on youtube.

This is awesome. I do the same thing. I watch it every four years to get ready for viewing the current Olympics.

I highly recommend this.
 Kissing your lips while straddling your lap. 
Lurker
0 likes
Saving Capitalism

Dutchess Of Dancing
0 likes

A secret isn't a secret if 2 know it🤐

Quantum Tease
0 likes

The PBS documentary Arctic Drift