Login

Winter Olympics Korea 2018

last reply
100 replies
10.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Why do they make women figure skaters wear those skimpy lingerie outfits while the men are well covered in something sesnsible and regular looking?

Actually, I find the women's ice dancing costumes to be the skimpiest. If you look closely at the costumes in pairs and women's, they usually have a lot of flesh-coloured panels that reduce the amount of actual skin on show. Ice dance, perhaps because of its roots in ballroom dancing, OTOH ... well, just look at the French dancer's wardrobe malfunction or Tessa Virtue's outfit from the free dance.

Canada is currently defending a 2 goal lead over the Czechs in the men's hockey bronze this morning (currently 4-2) so I am becoming hopeful for one last medal in this Olympics. 11 min. left in the game.
getting my tv warmed up for the women's mass speed skating event today. Lyfbuz brought the beer and gets the left side of the couch. goooo Estonia!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Bronze it is. I was getting worried though. We got sloppy towards the end. Score was 6-4 (and almost 6-5 if a Czech goal hadn't been disallowed) but we could have smoked them 6-2 if we'd played better in the last few minutes. Still, we won, which brings us to 29 total medals. Bobsleigh men's 4s has some potential, but we are probably done for this games realistically.
Quote by DamonX
In two man bobsled for Beijing 2022.....

Me and Buz

I was a highschool sprinter and a rubgy fullback...

Buz... linebacker??? Not going to cut it. Way to big. Have you played fullback or tail back? What are are you height, weigh and 40 run time? maybe I think we can qualify for the Repblic of Cascadia

And our after parties in the Olympic village will be epic..... You bring the ballgags. I'll bring the Buttplugs.

Thanks dureX....

In high school I was starting wide receiver, kick returner, punt returner, and also a linebacker. My head coach who was also offensive coordinator chose to play me as wide receiver because I was the 2nd fastest player on the team and liked to block, as well as had the hands. The defensive coordinator was always asking to use me at linebacker and I did get significant enough outside linebacker time to lead the team in tackling twice my senior year. If I'd had my way I'd played linebacker first. I loved it the most. I'm 5'11, 200 lbs, did a 4.75 in high school. Had several smaller division college scholarship offers. I also was center fielder/lead off batter in baseball. I was good at stealing bases.

Bobsled looks like it would be fun as hell. Yeah, we could do that.

If I'd grown up in the UK I'm sure rugby would've been my sport. If in Canada, hockey, football, and maybe lacrosse and also rugby. I grew up playing football, basketball, and baseball. By high school in the USA they push us to specialize in one sport. I chose to do football and baseball to cut out the problem of overlap. My high school was a regular state contender in football, basketball, and baseball, so you had going deep into the play-offs to deal with that extended those seasons. If I'd played basketball I'd have had a good shot at starting point guard.

In the last few years I've done lots of bicycle races, 5k, 10k, and half-marathon runs, and a few triathlons. I'm getting less and less time for that due to career.
Mass speed skate is a new sport, and it's actually pretty exciting. like short track, only on the long track. in the men's, the south korean won, which was a crowd please. sadly, my girl from Estonia, while being out in the lead for most of the race, couldn't keep it up and didn't place. liking this sport, tho - very exciting. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

I love the Winter Olympics. In high school I played second string cello on the local swamp-ice team. Got honorable mention in Fig-Pickers Gazette and went off to the Ivy League for my education. Being as I stuck up six foot two in my hockey shoes, I was invited to try out for the basketball squad. I played 123 games at the end of the bench. Was given a technical foul when I was caught spanking the coach's wife's monkey. I went on to play semi-slow ball on a faraway enchanted island, while snatching coconuts from trees. I was even I even invited to the ice house to watch water freeze.

German Foreign Office issued a travel advisory to all Germans in Canada:

"Germans in Canada should exercise a high degree of empathy. Be nice, don’t gloat, give hugs, buy rounds of hot chocolate. Just imagine how you would feel if Canada beat us in soccer."

Canada returned a diplomatic tweet:

“Thanks @GermanyDiplo. Congrats on your first shot at gold! We remember our first gold medal match in #IceHockey like it was yesterday… 1920 to be exact."

I think Germany should gloat. This was an amazing achievement. There is zero chance that this would happen if NHL players were allowed to compete...but still.

Go Deutschland. I hope they destroy the Russians.
Quote by DamonX

German Foreign Office issued a travel advisory to all Germans in Canada:

"Germans in Canada should exercise a high degree of empathy. Be nice, don’t gloat, give hugs, buy rounds of hot chocolate. Just imagine how you would feel if Canada beat us in soccer."

Canada returned a diplomatic tweet:

“Thanks @GermanyDiplo. Congrats on your first shot at gold! We remember our first gold medal match in #IceHockey like it was yesterday… 1920 to be exact."

I think Germany should gloat. This was an amazing achievement. There is zero chance that this would happen if NHL players were allowed to compete...but still.

Go Deutschland. I hope they destroy the Russians.

They should do it like they do with soccer in the summer olympics. Where the athletes need to be under 23 years old pro or not but the team can have three players of any age. Makes it interesting to build the teams around three of their best players. Plus most countries don't have 14 world class players but they do have 3.
I get so sick and tired of the blabber mouth TV announcers nonstop talking over the action. Just shut up sometime! They must be on speed or meth so they can ramble on so much. I guess they work in 2 person teams so one can continue blabbering on while other dumbfuck catches their breath. SHUT UP!

I really hate it when they tell you what the athlete is thinking while they're in action. They have no idea what the hell the athlete is thinking. Most likely the athlete is in such deep concentration of what they are doing physically, they're devoid of any kind of other thought.
Quote by Magical_felix

They should do it like they do with soccer in the summer olympics. Where the athletes need to be under 23 years old pro or not but the team can have three players of any age. Makes it interesting to build the teams around three of their best players. Plus most countries don't have 14 world class players but they do have 3.

I think the big issue with that is that soccer has relatively few substitutions.

Hockey usually has either 3 or 4 lines of five players each and they go on the ice for short, anaerobic shifts of less than a minute at a time.

So having one or two really good players will have relatively less effect overall.

The Olympics were founded to promote "amateur" athletics so it has always been a topic of contention when it comes to allowing professionals to compete. Back in 1896, the idea of "amateur" was also kind of an elitist form of discrimination as well.

It all started with the 1992 "Dream Team" in Barcelona. In 1988, the US finished third in Basketball in Seoul so there was a huge campaign to allow pros to compete. Eastern Bloc Communist countries however, were full of shit. They claimed that their athletes were "amateur" when they were really state sponsored professionals.

I was so excited to see a team with Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing etc all compete on the same team. I even have the starting lineup box set..

The excitement died out a little however, after seeing them absolutely demolish every team that they went up against. I think they beat Cuba by about 80 points....

Having pros in the Olympics definitely is good for ratings. From a purist point of view though, I'm still undecided.
Apparently Canadian hockey player Jocelyne Larocque was too much of a poor sport to wear her silver medal during the medal ceremony....

Ivanka didn't have a problem with getting a silver medal.

I didn't know that nepotism was an Olympic event... but still.