Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What's The Best Movie According To You Without The TRADITIONAL Happy Ending?

last reply
200 replies
22.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Casablanca
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Leaving Las Vegas, Falling Down
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That is impossible to answer. Some of my favorites.
No Country for Old Men
Unforgiven
Apocalypse Now
Falling Down
The Exorcist
Saving Private Ryan
The Shinning
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Number one that jumps into my mind is "Brokeback Mountain" I might add to this with more thought, but definitely not replace it.
0 likes
best movie without traditional ending? I gotta think on that one.

Edward Scissor Hands
Armageddon

I'll add more as I think of them

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

0 likes
The Road with Viggo Mortensen
American History X
0 likes
Quote by Shadowforce1
The Road with Viggo Mortensen
American History X

The ROAD. Oh man, I hated the ending of this movie, but I loved the movie..

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Lurker
0 likes
Like too many movies to pick a best for this.

So...Live-action Scripted/Drama/genres: Western, SciFi, Anime, Action/Adventure.

Sorry,...some of these may be spoiler alert if ya not seen them...

1. Any of the 10 John Wayne movies in that he dies.
Though I'm sure there are many other movies that script's the good guy [hero] to die at the end, this was not always,
and is still mostly not the traditional.

2. Shane (1953)
50 of 100 people in a room will make argument that Shane [the hero] dies at the end as he rides away,
this opposing the others who say he not.

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Simply because the ending is just that.

4. Blade Runner (1982) version.
The bad guy [replicant soldier clone] died at the end, but in an unusual way [not killed by the hero]
after he saves the life of the hero.

5. Chronicles of Riddick. (2004)
Who would have thought that Riddick would end up the leader of the Necromongers?

6. Metropolis (1927), possibly the greatest German SciFi, or of any SciFi movie.
Chose this movie simply because 99 of 100 people who watch it may not grasp the concepts
of the "head", the "hands", and the "heart", to have comprehension of the ending, and determine if it is traditional or not.
It could be considered traditional now, but not in 1927, so I added it anyway...

7. Ghost in the Shell. (1995), also possibly the greatest movie in its genres of SciFi/anime/manga.
Major Motoko Kusanagi [a female cyborg in the secret police with therm-optic camouflage ability] ends the film with her consciousness inhabiting the Puppetmaster's human body [a young female cyber terrorist and ghost-hacker of people's brains] who she has just killed, before she also dies
and then becomes neither Kusanagi, nor the Puppetmaster, but something else
as she walks away and suddenly disappears saying, "the 'net is vast and infinite."

Ok I'm done, lucky 7. Have things to do...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by L8LastNight
Planet of the Apes (original film with Chuck Heston)

Oh a definite yes for untraditional ending in 1968, and still mostly even now...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Graduate
The ending tricks you and makes you think that it’s going to be a happy one. Then the camera holds, their smiles fade, and they slowly come to realize that there is no happiness at the end of this story. That final shot makes the film.

Anything by Hitchcock or Kubrick would fit this category as well, especially Psycho or Eyes Wide Shut.

Some, but not all, Coen brother films (No Country for Old Men, Fargo, True Grit).

Melancholia was beautiful and brilliant but as is typical for a film by Lars Von Trier, it’s way too cynical and depressing for me to take seriously.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Story Verifier
0 likes
The Departed - Definitely left me like
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Rocky Horror or Evita.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Doctor Strangelove: Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and love the Bomb. Could there be a less traditional happy ending? The entire world gets destroyed.
The Usual Suspects has been listed by multiple other people, but it deserves to be mentioned because it is one of the best movies ever made.
Upgrade- Newer film that I doubt many people saw, but not only is the ending dark, but you can extrapolate an even darker future after that ending.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
'Dead Man'. It's by a relatively obscure yet interesting filmmaker named Jim Jarmusch.
I'm really getting sick of auto-correct's shirt.