Unexpectedly brilliant movies

last reply
52 replies
4.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
We all know what it's like to go and see a movie massively hyped and over sold and then be disappointed as all the best bits were in the trailer.

There are also movies which you may watch cos you're bored, gaining brownie points or your Dad has the remote but actually turned out to be amongst your favourites.

For me it was Men In Black III (cue rolling eyes everywhere!) but I thought it was the best of the trilogy (unusual in itself) with an excellent ensemble cast and standout performances from Flight of The Conchords' Jermaine Clement as Boris the Animal (it's just BORIS!) and Michael Stuhlbarg as Griffin. Most memorable though was the very poignant ending (no spoiler alerts!) which tied the whole series together perfectly.

Are there any other much maligned movies that people have been pleasantly surprised by?
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
The 13th warrior..Films soo cool u can never watch it enough

Run fat boy run . fucking hilarious

From dusk till dawn...Don't judge me people, I never liked Tarantino till i watched this film and I only watched it because my brother had it on..it was AWSOME.

The Last Samurai...Really surprising because I probably hate Tom Cruise more than anyone else on the planet...the blokes a complete nob.

Dogma...Who knew Alanis was god??

Alien Resurrection - in truth i thought Alien 3 was so bad i swore i would never EVER watch another but this one was good almost as good as aliens which was my fav of them all.

Robin hood Prince of thieves..LOL just kidding it was awful.

I will think of some more later but my final for now is a fav of mine and my dads too

Last of the Mohicans
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love and other Drugs......I watched it on Direct TV.....I love Anne Hathaway.
0 likes
There are a few I knew I was gonna love, The Simpsons movie, The Die hard movies and many others. 3 that come to mind that I didn't expect to be brilliant are these.

The Departed. I love Martin Scorsese and he is in fact my favorite director. Although, aside from Matt Damon, I wasn't much of a fan of anyone else in the movie. Then I watched it and loved every moment of the movie. I didn't even completely get it on the first view. I watched it again and loved it even more on the second view. Its still my favorite MS directed movie and it has some great competition. Taxi driver, Goodfellas can Cape fear.

The second is Black Mass. It came out back in September and starred Johnny Depp. I'm not even a great fan of his and didn't almost anyone else in the movie. He perfectly portrayed James Bulger and made the movie perfect. Even though The Departed is just loosely based on this movie, I'd still have to give it to The Departed. I guess for the cast and director. Though, Black Mass is perfectly constructed and definitely worth your time. Its hard to watch at times, but still near flawless. It tells the story of what happened vividly and makes you love it as a whole by time its over.

The third is the screwball comedy Stranger Than Fiction. It didn't strike me like Anchorman, Wedding Crashers or Old School did. I still gave it a try. It was funny and perfectly written. You never could pinpoint what was gonna happen next, and it had a perfect cast to make it great. What really thrilled me, was that it was completely original and just let the comedy flow out organically too. Will never did a movie like that before and I certainly hope he tries something like this again.

All three got perfect 10s from me.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Boyhood

They filmed it over a 12 year time frame. It was fabulous.

xo
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Well, there are a ton of these going out every year, so I'm simply going by recent memory.

-Leviathan by Andrey Zvyagintsev. It's unlike me, but this one took me completely by surprise. It's absolutely brilliant, from a director I had never heard of until then.

-Son of Saul. by Lazlo Nemes. Okay. That one was always going to be good, but it's flown a LOT under the radar. It's gut-wrenching and brilliantly designed, if utterly depressing.

-Mommy by Xavier Dolan. I'm really not going into a happy place with this list, am I? Anyway, Xavier Dolan is an unrecognized but extremely talented director, and Mommy is probably his best movie.

These were maybe not the "best" movies of the last two years, but they certainly flew under the radar and deserve some more attention. I will add: The Assassin, Birdman and Citizenfour for consideration. Although none of these qualify as "unexpected" successes given the directors history. Then there's Whiplash, excellent and unexpected, but it got its fair share of hype as well.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Big Trouble in little China.

God, it was hilarious

Edit. Spaced Invaders.
Im not gonna say a thing about it other than it was so stupid it was incredibly entertaining
The Linebacker
0 likes
The single greatest movie of all time is National Lampoon's Animal House.

How did Animal House NOT win the Academy Award for best Movie?

"Over? Did you say 'over?' Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!"
– John Blutarsky (played by John Belushi)
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Good thread idea!

I know it sounds impossible, but Exorcist III is really good. It's not really a sequel, the studio made him put use that title and tack on a very stupid ending. It's a very good, smart movie otherwise, and had one of the scariest long shots I've ever seen. A full minute - the camera never moves.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Crazy stupid love. Dreadful title, great film. Warm and funny. Also, I'm not gay. but Ryan Gosling without a shirt on. WOOOOSH. Steve Carrell is funny too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Back in the days when there was only three major networks,CBS used to make a lot of "made for tv" films.Of course the budgets were much smaller than the movies made for the theaters,but there were several good ones as well as some work that I would classify as great movies.

Into Thin Air...About a Canadian mother whose son vanishes on his way to college in the United States and her efforts(with a serious lack of help from authorities)to find him.

Pack Of Lies...About a British woman who is asked by her government to use her house as a look out point to keep an eye on her neighbors(a husband and wife)across the street whom they suspect are spies for another country.The catch is the wife is her very best friend and the caused conflicts and emotions the woman feels for the betrayal of that friendship.

God Bless This Child...About a single mother on the brink of homelessness who makes a very difficult decision to give her daughter a better chance at a better life.

Willa...About a single mother trying to learn a new trade(becoming a truck driver)so she can provide a better life for herself as well as her newborn.

The Five Dollar And Twenty Cents An Hour Dream...Another film about a single mother working in a factory who fights to get a higher paying job within the factory which traditionally only men did because of the physical nature of the work.

All's Quiet On The Western Front...John Thomas as a German foot soldier in World War One.There is a scene at night when he is in a fox hole as the British soldiers are advancing when one enemy soldier jumps in the fox hole and Thomas stabs him with his knife and severely wounds him but the man doesn't die right away as Thomas tries desperately to both save and comfort him.
Lurker
0 likes
Dope. Brilliant movie.
Lurker
0 likes
Byzantium - dark and brilliant. The perfect blend for a vampire love story.

The Lion in Winter - 1990's version with Glenn Close and Patric Stuart. The original version was lovely but when Glenn and Patric get together something intense happens with the whole script. Glenn is perfect playing Eleanor of Aquitaine. So much so that this movie inspired my novel Viette.

Time Lapse - it really landed on me as being dull by the half way point and then quickly became stupid as hell. But we Netflixed it so we watched the whole thing anyway. It redeemed itself with the last 20 minutes - Now it's one of my favorites. It's totally fucked up but in an awesome way.

Rubber - My father declared he wanted 5 minutes of his life back after watching this movie, but I still love it. It's stupid, bizarre, and just full of wtfery. Just my thing.
0 likes
Gattaca - great film, premise and a fantastic cast. Very well shot too.
Event Horizon - I caught this late one night. Woah!
Three Colours Trilogy (Blue, White & Red)- I was given this as a present and I languished on a shelf for a year. I was at a loose end and put the first one on (Blue). Quite simply, it is the greatest film trilogy ever made.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by visioneer

Tremors

Tremors!!! Love that movie. Such a guilty pleasure. Probably seen it 10 times.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by TheTravellingMan
Gattaca - great film, premise and a fantastic cast. Very well shot too.

i didn't expect much from it, ended up loving it.

Love Song for Bobby Long. really grew on me - have actually watched it about a dozen times - it never gets old. Scarlet Johannson and Travolta.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I love some of the ones that have been chosen.

"The Fountain" has to be one for me. Every I watch it I glean something new.
? A True Story ?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I love some of the ones that have been chosen.

"The Fountain" has to be one for me. Everytime I watch it I glean something new. The visuals are amazing (and not just because I'm Buddhist).

? A True Story ?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
And too, "The Mission". It is very moving. The soundtrack is amazing. We had a quartet perform Ennio Marricone's "Gabriel's Oboe" for my bridal march.

? A True Story ?
0 likes
From Dusk til Dawn - OMG! I thought, 'well, this looks totally stupid." But, it was...SUPRISINGLY BRILLIANT! Very funny movie!

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
For me it's "Hector and the Pursuit of Happiness" It's on Netflix and it is truly brilliant, heartfelt, funny, and amazing
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick
From Dusk til Dawn - OMG! I thought, 'well, this looks totally stupid." But, it was...SUPRISINGLY BRILLIANT! Very funny movie!

One of my favourite Rodriguez movies, great performances from Clooney and Tarantino, LOVE Cheech Marin's "pussy" monologue and the soundtrack kicks ass!

Oh and Salma in a bikini didn't hurt either silly
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Baldwin, Bello & Macy - The Cooler (2003)

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
The Hundred Foot Journey...I watched it at the behest of someone else and found it to be a delightful movie and Charlotte Le Bon was a delight to look at throughout the movie....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Notebook
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
Boyhood

They filmed it over a 12 year time frame. It was fabulous.

xo

Agreed. I actually know Richard Linklater, somewhat. He introduced me to Quenton Tarentino when he was in Austin. This was one of his three best movies IMO, along with Dazed and Confused and Bernie.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
And too, "The Mission". It is very moving. The soundtrack is amazing. We had a quartet perform Ennio Marricone's "Gabriel's Oboe" for my bridal march.

Terrific cinematography. Jeremy Irons was stupid casting though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Fault in Our Stars - This movie made me cry - a whole lot. I was expecting a typical teenage movie that was okay. This is a five star movie all the way.

Maragarita, With a Straw - An Indian movie, I was expecting nothing more than just okay. Not only is it the best Indian movie I have ever seen, it is the best movie about a disabled person I have seen since Rain Man.

Scavenger Hunt - One of the three greatest slapstick comedies of all time. The last time I checked, it had still not been released to DVD, but this will make you laugh your ass off!

The Usual Suspects - I had no idea what to expect. Lots of plot twists that you don't see coming.

Downfall - A German made movie about the last days of Adolf Hitler? Yeah right! Well guess what? They hit it out of the park.

A Simple Plan - The best movie about greed since The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton are perfect for those roles.