Login

Social Dilemma On Netflix

last reply
6 replies
0 watchers
1 like
Prolific Writer
1 like
I just watched this documentary. Have any of you seen it yet?

It certainly is eye opening and I am now afraid to go on the internet and/or facebook.

If you have seen it, let's talk about it.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
I just watched this documentary. Have any of you seen it yet?

It certainly is eye opening and I am now afraid to go on the internet and/or facebook.

If you have seen it, let's talk about it.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo

I started to watch it, but I fell asleep. It's kind of a half doc and half movie. It's a documentary that has interludes of scripted actors playing parts.... There I think I described it ok.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by Osman

I started to watch it, but I fell asleep. It's kind of a half doc and half movie. It's a documentary that has interludes of scripted actors playing parts.... There I think I described it ok.

How you fell asleep is beyond me. I’m terrified of Facebook and the internet. I’ve taken my name off sites that pull information.

I’ve opt out and now I can breathe better.

I found social dilemma scary and will be more careful about what I google, etc.

Hugs,
Xo
Lurker
0 likes
I watched it last night. It is kind of eye-opening. We were already cutting down on Facebook, which is my primary social network. I'd already deleted the app from my devices and hadn't gone on the site in days, and days since the time before.

I work in IT, but not anywhere near the social networking space. I've always understood at a high level that if i'm not paying for something, somebody is still making money off of me somehow. I've never been one to click ads, so i kind of discounted most of the worry. TSD does make me take pause though.

The two biggest points for me were users as products and the social ramifications of addiction and self-worth derived from these platforms.

I think that the most troubling thing is how pervasive and manipulative platforms have become, utilizing the psychology of persuasion and addiction against their users.

It's troubling how many people naively think they are above the self-worth problem, or aren't addicted, primarily because they won't put it to the test, or because admitting that they were deriving self-worth would be admitting a weakness or failing. And it's not just tweens having these problems. Tweens are just the first generation that were raised with these platforms since a young age.

I have these addictive behaviors. Most people I know do too. It's just so pervasive (which TSD articulates clearly).

Now I'll try to connect this to Lush...

If you're a lush writer and catch yourself checking "My Stories" a few times a day to see how many people are reading your story - you might be seeking that dopamine hit. I've only published 2 things on Lush and already catch myself doing this, and it's not like I'm getting hundreds of views a day. This points to the desire/addiction to wanting to know what others think about us (or in this case our creations) that is addressed in TSD. Writers and creators (like Instagram users) are often prone to this desire to be "liked", especially hobby creators who can't look at the buckets of cash they've earned and derive worth from it. Since writing is personal, having your writing liked has a deep ingrained value of self-worth.

Some just write for themselves without worrying about what others think about their work, but for every one of those unicorns, there's a herd of people that do care and do take that negative comment or score too seriously. That doesn't make scoring evil. It's just something to take pause and think about.

To me, that's the point of TSD - to make people think.

Sorry if I digressed trying to connect to the lush social network, but well, it IS a social network of sorts, albeit without most of the sophisticated monetizable addictive qualities. The ads are pretty static and don't really hook me, but I generally have a "i don't want to click on ads" philosophy. I don't know if that's true for all.

TSD may have sealed the deal for me going premium. ;)
Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Hey! I Absolutely saw The Social Dilemma on Netflix. It's an eye-opener, right? Scary how our online lives are manipulated. Got me rethinking screen time and social media big time. What did you think of it? Speaking of Netflix, do you guys know it adds to prince harry net worth ( https://planneratheart.com/prince-harrys-net-worth/ )? They made a deal about producing new content. Excited to watch it!