last reply
32 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Necho

Firstly; I think Tom Hardy packing on the kilos has pretty much handed him a golden career, I dont think he would have been anywhere now if he was still the same skinny dude he started out as. Sometimes you just have to be the hot guy that takes of your shirt all the time and get paid to do so... oh the horror.

Secondly; They are hardly forced to do so, they get paid millions and actors like Ms Theron and Swank could easily have passed on those rolls to someone else, but they didnt, they chose it.

That's not gaining 200pounds though. Bane was just a few months of high calorie meals and heavy weights. some of it was just fat. I said I don't mind if you buff up or slim down but when your doing the christian bale machinist stuff it's not healthy, why'd they pick him over someone that's an equally good actor that's skinnier and whose body would be closer to that to begin with? Bale did a good performance but was it necessary? Did the director pick up the script, read it and immediately think "it must be bale, I must have this man"?
For those roles I'd rather see a new-comer wow me than the same person I've seen 30 times that dramatically altars their appearance in a seemingly unhealthy way. It just seems odd to me to reward someone with a large sum of money to destroy their body when I'm sure theirs a really skinny actor or a heavy set actor that could knock it out of the park and not have to change so dramatically for the same or lesser price.

Hardy only gained 30 pounds for batman. I don't know what it was for Bronson but I'd guess around the same.

Matt Damon dropped 40-50 pounds for one role to 110 for a heroin addict and it shrank his adrenal gland and he had to take medication for years to fix his metabolism.

For two days of acting:
“I went too far. I got sick and I wouldn’t do that again because it was just too much. At the same time it helped the performance. I didn’t have to act at all – I was a wreck. I was getting dizzy spells and hot flashes. I didn’t say anything to anyone for a while because I was afraid I might be really ill.”

He wasn't a big actor then but was it worth it to do that to himself?

Bale in american psycho: 180-190
Machinist: 121
Batman begins and darkknight: went up to 230 then dropped some.
Webt back down back down for the fighter and back up for the darknight rises.

Seems dangerous.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not arguing your point Kitanica, I think there is a lot of truth in it. I'm just adding that its part of their sacrifice for their career.

Hardy might not have needed all the extra muscle for Bane but it did help set the scene for the character. He did have to stand out next to the Bat suite after all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not arguing your point Kitanica, I think there is a lot of truth in it. I'm just adding that its part of their sacrifice for their career.

Hardy might not have needed all the extra muscle for Bane but it did help set the scene for the character. He did have to stand out next to the Bat suite after all.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Necho

Well he needed too for that, banes supposed to be 10 feet tall and be on super steroids. hes kinda puny but his awesome voice helped. He still looked massive breaking batmans back.

he's sort of the dc hulk
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Really Kitanica? You liked his voice? I found it terrible, I'm not a Hardy voice fan unless its in his native accent.dJiz2Dt7NyM1Iwtb
Lurker
0 likes
It was the best part of his character in the movie. It made him sound intelligent which is often overlooked, banes a genius and tactician, he's also one of the few who figured out who batman was. Not that its particulary difficult, but most batman villains seem stupified trying to figure out who he is.
Banes body with the voice of doctor Strange. It works. The story they made for him not so much...

He would be forbidden to speak from this day forward unless it was in the bane voice if I had my way lol.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
His character was very good and the voice suited the role... However, I would HATE it if he spoke like that forever. I watched lawless when it came out and his voice/accentin that was terribly annoying.
Lurker
0 likes
Minus the last 5 minutes when they turn him ion an average henchman and kill him off, haven't seen lawless.