Movie first - Book Second

last reply
37 replies
4.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
Quote by cheeseball
I have found that, especially with science fiction, the movie is never as good as the book. Your own imagination creates better scenes than a movie ever could.

well Phillip k dick said blade runner looked exactly as he pictured it in his head when he wrote do androids dream of electric sheep, though he died before the film was released and never got to see it and I havent read a scanner darkly but the movie was excellent.
Cock Connoisseur
I much prefer to read the book first then see the movie although it does at times make it difficult to watch the movie especially if they butcher the book to come within time constraints. Hannibal for me was the worst case of butchering. The book was amazing in detal and description and the movie left me upset and shaking my head at the vital things they left out.
Lurker
Interview with a Vampire. Both excellent.
Lurker
If i can? i try to separate the mediums from each other and enjoy both on a level. Im not a big reader, but i have started reading certain genres lately...but i had to post this, cause i feel strongly about it. 2 examples..

Point of impact by Stephen Hunter. A former vietnam sniper is used and left to die by the Government and he has to survive, heal and exact his revenge. Its original, has great characters, and a terrific story and its exciting...and what do you get? You get the movie called "Shooter" with Mark Whalberg...its just awful and a complete travesty of the book...how anyone could possibly like it..is beyond me.

Then there is the Jack Reacher series. Love em. there's about 15 of them now. A former MP drifts through the country who is drawn into situations due to no fault of his own, and dispenses his own sense of right and wrong.

The movie starring Tom Cruise came out last year, and as much as people hate on Cruise (love him btw..best action star around today..who cares if he is weird..he never hurt anyone) and how he was horribly miscast playing a 6'5 250lb brute.

The book called "One Shot" and the movie followed each other pretty closely. The book was better yes, but the movie captured the essence of the story and it also managed to create the character of Reacher as he is written.

I guess you never know what your gonna get when it goes to the screen..but for the most part? Book is usually better.
Bonnet Flaunter
Like a lot of the other posts here, I would tend to go with book first too. My only exception to the rule would be Dickens. Much as I try I am unable to wade through all those endless, endless words, brilliantly entertaining though they may be (in moderation). And some of the film and tv adaptations are superb in themselves.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Kristind
I thought the movie Eragon was better than the book. The book had long stretches of traveling across the region with what seemed like little significance to the story.

I'm reading Eragon right now. I didn't even know there was a movie. It will be exciting to check it out when I'm done reading!

I can only think of two instances where I enjoyed the movie more than the book: The Wizard of Oz (1939) and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I really felt, in both cases, that the screenplays were what the books should have been.

It doesn't matter to me if I read a book or see a movie first. It doesn't alter my ability to enjoy the other or even recreate characters, settings, etc in my head.
Lurker
I definitely read first.....love what your mind does to fill in the "blanks"....such as how a character looks. When it becomes a movie it's someone else's imagination filling those blanks in.
Prolific Writer
I read "The Firm" and absolutely loved it. Then I saw the movie, I liked the movie but the book was so much better. They sort of changed it for the movie version. Still a great movie, but loved the book better.
The Right Rev of Lush
Being of, let's just say, advanced years, I'll bring up two book-to-movie situations from way-back-when.

The "Maltese Falcon" by Dashiell Hammett is an American classic and a must read. The movie, The Maltese Falcon, starring Humphrey Bogart is an American classic and a must see. The fun thing is the movie follows the book almost to perfection.

Margaret Mitchell's, "Gone With the Wind" was a popular, even iconic, bestseller that has continued to sell well after something like 75 years in publication. The movie, "Gone With the Wind starring Gable and Leigh (among others) is also an American classic and a must see. However, unlike, "The Maltese Falcon" there are a few things were lost in the translation to film, like for instance, one of Scarlett's husbands and two of her kids. smile

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
Wolf of Wall Street movie was better that the book.

Stand by Me, (The Body by Stephen King)

The Shawshank Redemption
Active Ink Slinger
I remember seeing The Godfather when it first came out and how much I enjoyed it. I purchased the book a little while later and was able to see and hear the actors from the movie as I read it cover to cover..