last reply
9 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Lizzy brings you the goods.

File-sharing sites and platforms of all kinds can be goldmines of unusual information and today fans of writer J. D. Salinger will be the ones getting particularly excited. Last evening three previously unreleased stories by the reclusive American author were uploaded to private BitTorrent tracker What.cd, including The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls, a piece previously under lock and key at the Princeton University Library. The stories are now widely available.

The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls story is currently only available to read at the Princeton library and under supervision in a special reading room. It is one of two titles bound up in a legal agreement which forbids the release of the work until fifty years after Salinger’s death. He passed away in 2010.

Article source: TorrentFreak

You can read all three books here: http://imgur.com/a/64v5t
(There is a download link on the right-hand side if you want to save a copy.)
0 likes
The Salinger estate will likely not be amused, to say the least, but there's probably not much they can about it either save try to sue whoever uploaded them in the first place (and maybe Princeton if it can be proven someone there had a hand in it, violating that legal agreement). Tracking down all the torrented copies would be rather like finding all the fragments of Comet ISON.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Thanks Liz! I downloaded my copy. Although I feel kind of guilty doing so, given that he didn't wan't it released til 2060. Still, I'm dying to read it, so I couldn't help myself.

In this era of online leaks, a lot of artists (writers, musicians etc) probably need to re-evaluate the way they protect their work, especially if it's a project that is ongoing for several years.

It's not the same as far as impact goes, but I'm sure I read something a long time ago about how Stephenie Meyer had a final Twilight book (or a prequel?) that got leaked online and she got pissed and just threw the thing up on her own site, unedited, as a basic "yeah, I'm never finishing it now, so fuck you readers!" kind of thing.

Then, more recently, Lana Del Rey had dozens of songs stolen/leaked online that were for an upcoming album and she was so disheartened that she abandoned the project and decided to take a break from the music scene.

As Seeker said - finding the original perpetrator in these cases probably isn't the easiest thing. It's so easy to be untraceable online if you know what you're doing.
0 likes
Given that some of us may not be around in 2060 (including me unless my generation of the family proves to be hardier than our ancestors), I suppose the uploader figured he was doing society a service.
Lurker
0 likes
Yeah, the math don't add up favorably. Downloaded without worry of future estates, since I'll be dead by then and without guilt.

Does Shakespeare still have an agent or estate? Guess good stuff lives on without monetary interest.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
It's so easy to be untraceable online if you know what you're doing.

The NSA may disagree with that comment - however, they'd never divulge it willingly - until they prosecute someone for whatever they wish to quit overlooking.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

The NSA may disagree with that comment - however, they'd never divulge it willingly - until they prosecute someone for whatever they wish to quit overlooking.

Do you think that's what happened when The Silk Road got shut down and seized by the FBI? It seems they were trying to find out who Ulbricht was for ages and only figured it out when he made a dumb slip-up on a few other websites where they were able to trace it back to him and reveal his identity as the Dread Pirate. To me it seemed like the TOR system and Bitcoin exchanges were fairly seamless but maybe not.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Do you think that's what happened when The Silk Road got shut down and seized by the FBI? It seems they were trying to find out who Ulbricht was for ages and only figured it out when he made a dumb slip-up on a few other websites where they were able to trace it back to him and reveal his identity as the Dread Pirate. To me it seemed like the TOR system and Bitcoin exchanges were fairly seamless but maybe not.

Geek Alert!

I heard he made a coding request on a site called Stackoverflow which was so specific, it narrowed it down to about three Tor sites.

To top it off, he used his own name, then later changed it to an online handle he uses.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Geek Alert!

I heard he made a coding request on a site called Stackoverflow which was so specific, it narrowed it down to about three Tor sites.

To top it off, he used his own name, then later changed it to an online handle he uses.

LOL... I had an account on the Road. I never purchased anything. I was just curious and wanted to have a browse so I signed up one day. I wasn't totally surprised when it got shut down - was amazed it was running the way it was for so long. Pretty sure I heard Bitcoin stock plunged the next day too... there was a shitload of money tied up on that site that just went 'poof' for the end users when it got seized. I also read similar details - that he made some truly dumb amateur mistakes. I think the power went to his head and he was busy talked to Forbes and bragging about it and acting like a big shot instead of laying low. You need some stealth to operate on the online black market. Of course, there will be numerous alternate markets that will spring up to take its place so it's not like it's problem solved (if one wants to consider it a problem in the first place).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read this the very same day it was leaked. I have to say, it was is not my favorite book. It felt like the experimentation of the author as opposed to an actual published finished piece which I guess does allow it to have a 'raw work' charm much like a 'stream of consciousness writing'. But thank you for sharing the post all the same for all us nerds out there.
Happiness is not an outcome or an entitlement. It is not tangible and it is not purchasable. It is a conscious decision, it is a state-of-mind, it is a choice you make at every crossroad.