Great Gatsby Movie and Soundtrack

last reply
12 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
So there has been a lot of hype about both the movie and its soundtrack. Singles were both released and leaked off of the Jay-Z produced soundtrack and personally I enjoyed them. The soundtrack dropped a few days before the movie was released and I downloaded it instantly. At first I really enjoyed it. The Lana Del Rey song, the Andre 3000 and Beyonce cover, even the Will.i.am song were all enjoyable and head bop worthy on my commute to work. But when I hit play the second day I stopped and thought to myself: "How the hell does any of this fit in with the time period that The Great Gatsby takes place in?" I mean Will.i.am is sooooo not 1920's music. So when I saw the movie I went in expecting that these songs would stick out like a sore thumb. In many places they did and some they actually fit.
So I guess what I am asking is what did you think of the soundtrack and how it fit with the movie and its time period?

entertainment.time [dot] com/2013/05/10/gatsby-soundtrack-beats-on-borne-back-ceaselessly-into-failure/
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I've been listening to this soundtrack all weekend. Best soundtrack I've heard in a long time. It's a bit of an eclectic mix of songs and sounds but they all fit seamlessly within the movie. It gets the blood pumping for today's modern audience that conveys the excitement and thrill of that party scene at that time, but just using different updated sounds. I thought it worked well, given the style of the movie and direction. People who have issues with the soundtrack will inevitably find their base issue with Baz Luhrmann's vision - some like it, some don't. It's a contemporary flashy adaptation so purists are going to hate it. But back then, that whole scene was considered flashy so the intended impact on today's audience works.

On the soundtrack, Lana Del Rey is the standout for me (although I'm a huge fan already). Also loving The xx, Florence and the Machine and Fergie's track is damn sweet.

Have to admit I hated the new take on Back to Black. Amy Winehouse would have been perfection on this soundtrack. Such a shame she's not around anymore. sad
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

On the soundtrack, Lana Del Rey is the standout for me (although I'm a huge fan already). Also loving The xx, Florence and the Machine and Fergie's track is damn sweet.

Have to admit I hated the new take on Back to Black. Amy Winehouse would have been perfection on this soundtrack. Such a shame she's not around anymore. sad

I totally agree!! the Lana Del Rey song is amazing I actually liked the Back to Black cover but I am HUGE Beyonce fan! Girl can sing! For me it was really the technostyle Will.i.am and even Fergie song that stuck out in the film. I was pleasantly surprised by the way 100$ Bill fit in I initially thought that would be the most out of place song in the film.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Caught the move (2D version) last night. The Computer Graphics were mediocre at best. The East Egg/West Egg harbor scenes, in particular, looked as if they'd been rendered by a first-year film student.

The performances were generally good -- Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Joel Edgerton, and Elizabeth Debicki -- all delivered convincing portrayals. Wasn't very impressed by Carey Mulligan as Daisy, however.

The soundtrack was excellent, and did seem to work in an over-the-top kind of way.

Overall, I'd give it C+.

That said, if you liked "Moulin Rogue," you'll probably like "Gatsby" too.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
quick movie review time. just got back, went with friends who wanted to see it. first off, we all agreed that the soyngs worked. Yes, they were anachronistic, but they weren't up there in your face so. some of them are beautiful - love is blindness by Jack White was especially moving to me. The Lana Del Rey song, however was the only one i didn't care for (the lone dissenter among 6, bw).

ok, on to the movie. not everyone is going to like this maybe most aren't. it uses a device, that, while i understand why it was used, makes the first part of the movie a chore. it comes across as fake, plastic, very music video looking. exaggerated expressions, colors, in your face camera work, over the top choreography (not just talking about dance, but about the movement of actors, props, everything seemed very staged.). it was beautiful but empty and i came close to falling asleep... and then...

that the thing, it's two movies. the first, is fake, empty, pretty but shallow, and it's all a device. when Daisy and Gatsby come together, it becomes a different movie. all the emptiness is left behind and it becomes incredibly intimate. i loved the second movie. it's brilliant, despite the fact that you know it's going to break your heart - and i think it succeeds because the first half is how it is... i found myself reduced to tears, quite honestly, drained by the beauty of it's tragedy, and i think it does the book justice.

it's meant to be like that, i think - Luhrman took a huge risk, but really, it's as if you're seeing it all thru Gatsby's eyes - nothing matters except his fantasy of Daisy, and it is a fantasy. he has this perfect vision, it's all a lie, but it's a beautiful lie and we are let into it for a time, sharing it until it all goes up in smoke and the harsh light of reality returns...

will i recommend it? hard to do. some people are just not going to like it. out of 6, i was the only one who really truly loved it. everyone else was more along the lines of: it wasn't bad. be warned that it really is a hard movie to love, but the more i talk and think about it, the more amazing i think it was. just be warned, the first half may have you wanting to sneak into another theater and catch ironman 3. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
put 3 cd's into your music player and hit mix...

1. The Roots; Phrenology
2. OutKast; Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
3. Any album with Django Reinhardt, like this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0tPjdfHME

...then read the book. Sorry, JayZ blows.
Lurker
0 likes
haha @Highwayman, I generally like Jay-Z and as I have said was pleasantly surprised by the way most of the songs fit in!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
quick movie review time. just got back, went with friends who wanted to see it. first off, we all agreed that the soyngs worked. Yes, they were anachronistic, but they weren't up there in your face so. some of them are beautiful - love is blindness by Jack White was especially moving to me. The Lana Del Rey song, however was the only one i didn't care for (the lone dissenter among 6, bw).

ok, on to the movie. not everyone is going to like this maybe most aren't. it uses a device, that, while i understand why it was used, makes the first part of the movie a chore. it comes across as fake, plastic, very music video looking. exaggerated expressions, colors, in your face camera work, over the top choreography (not just talking about dance, but about the movement of actors, props, everything seemed very staged.). it was beautiful but empty and i came close to falling asleep... and then...

that the thing, it's two movies. the first, is fake, empty, pretty but shallow, and it's all a device. when Daisy and Gatsby come together, it becomes a different movie. all the emptiness is left behind and it becomes incredibly intimate. i loved the second movie. it's brilliant, despite the fact that you know it's going to break your heart - and i think it succeeds because the first half is how it is... i found myself reduced to tears, quite honestly, drained by the beauty of it's tragedy, and i think it does the book justice.

it's meant to be like that, i think - Luhrman took a huge risk, but really, it's as if you're seeing it all thru Gatsby's eyes - nothing matters except his fantasy of Daisy, and it is a fantasy. he has this perfect vision, it's all a lie, but it's a beautiful lie and we are let into it for a time, sharing it until it all goes up in smoke and the harsh light of reality returns...

will i recommend it? hard to do. some people are just not going to like it. out of 6, i was the only one who really truly loved it. everyone else was more along the lines of: it wasn't bad. be warned that it really is a hard movie to love, but the more i talk and think about it, the more amazing i think it was. just be warned, the first half may have you wanting to sneak into another theater and catch ironman 3. smile

WOW! That is like spot on and super in depth! Loved your take on the first and second halves of the movie. I actually enjoyed a lot of the cinematography, but then I'm really interested in the use of those sorts of devices, its not for everyone. And oh! we're going to have to talk about Ironman 3! What a movie, but don't get me started thats an entirely different thread!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BablingBrooke

WOW! That is like spot on and super in depth! Loved your take on the first and second halves of the movie. I actually enjoyed a lot of the cinematography, but then I'm really interested in the use of those sorts of devices, its not for everyone. And oh! we're going to have to talk about Ironman 3! What a movie, but don't get me started thats an entirely different thread!

and like i said, i think he did this on purpose, showing us two worlds thru Gatsby's eyes - the shallow vapidness of those born into wealth and the deepness that believed was the love that he and Daisy shared which was, in the end, as shallow as the rest. it was a fantasy, one he'd fooled himself into believing, also one that neither Daisy nor reality could ever live up to. in the end, i think that it was mercy that his last thought was that that it was Daisy on the other end of the call, that his physical death was kinder than the death he would have felt at finding out his dreams were just that; dreams, as empty and shallow as the reality that he looked down upon from the windows of his mansion.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
I prefer the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby, but this new one is pretty good.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
it's two movies. the first, is fake, empty, pretty but shallow, and it's all a device.

Amazingly perceptive review, Sprite.

The only thing I can think to add is that so many of the extreme, often computer generated, camera moves and perspectives of the first half seemed intent on making the movie into some kind of 3D roller coaster ride. If anyone actually saw the 3D version, I'd love to hear how you thought it worked. In 2D, like Sprite says, it was a chore to watch.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
and like i said, i think he did this on purpose, showing us two worlds thru Gatsby's eyes - the shallow vapidness of those born into wealth and the deepness that believed was the love that he and Daisy shared which was, in the end, as shallow as the rest. it was a fantasy, one he'd fooled himself into believing, also one that neither Daisy nor reality could ever live up to. in the end, i think that it was mercy that his last thought was that that it was Daisy on the other end of the call, that his physical death was kinder than the death he would have felt at finding out his dreams were just that; dreams, as empty and shallow as the reality that he looked down upon from the windows of his mansion.

Either your a genius or Baz is! because that never even occurred to me!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by ThisOldHippie

Amazingly perceptive review, Sprite.

The only thing I can think to add is that so many of the extreme, often computer generated, camera moves and perspectives of the first half seemed intent on making the movie into some kind of 3D roller coaster ride. If anyone actually saw the 3D version, I'd love to hear how you thought it worked. In 2D, like Sprite says, it was a chore to watch.

i saw it in 2d - there were several times when it was obvious that there was a 3d scene in it, which is always a little distracting. i have issues, at time, with 3d movies so i tend to avoid them.