last reply
106 replies
6.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
https://youtu.be/0PzoGHsy_Ko

Quote by Shadowforce1
This last season has been rushed I agree. BUT I have a few things that I have a problem with especially with the previous episode. Namely the Dothraki, didn't we see them go out like a candle in the middle of a hurricane? I mean they went all out and got wiped out. HOW are there still a few left? I agree Arya should have gone up to the stairs, but the hound talked her out of it and with their past relationship I can say if there was a person that could talk her down he was probably the only one. The brother's fighting it out was as I expected, there was no way little brother was going to kill Gregor in a fist/sword/anything fight. Walking huge zombie wasn't going to fall quickly. I loved that they fell into the fire and burned.

Jamie and Euron loved the fight, but Jamie got stabbed in the side TWICE. There was no way he should have made it that far. Again I know it's for TV but most of the other seasons have been true to human biology. If this were season one or two, Jamie would have taken three steps and fell.

Cersei dying under rubble was a big F U to all the people that wanted to see her burn by flames, hung, eaten, or some horrific death scene like her son.

I personally knew Daenerys was going to go off on Kings Landing. Especially after her second dragon got dusted, then her best friend got beheaded. Sanza doesn't like her and has poisoned the man she loves against her. People are hoping Jon, someone who doesn't even want the throne to be the next king. Did anyone see the look on her face after her friend's body fell to the floor. I did, I turned to my friends who were watching and I said "That city is going to BURN!" before she even turned around and walked away. Then she turned around and didn't even walk a straight line. Her brain went "FUCK IT!"

Then the scene came were she was on her dragon looking at the keep and the bell. And I knew what she was thinking "Don't you dare ring that bell!" My friend looked at me and said I was right. The dani everybody loved had exited the building. And I LOVED every moment of it. I was screaming at the television BURN IT ALL! It was the Dani I had known was under that fake facade for so many seasons, the moment she watched her brother's face melt and she didn't bat an eyelid I knew she was her father's daughter. Now all I have to wait for is if she kills Jon before he kills her. I LOVE Targaryens!
The Linebacker
I think the final episode will end with Daenerys discovering a large cache of dragon eggs.

Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by Katherine

fuck you, jon snow. fuck you in the eye. fuck you dead, you miserable piece of shit.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
Rushed, unearned.

I’m going on feel and it feels like a new beginning for a form of peace. It’s like the calm after the storm. So woefully underdeveloped. But who’s to blame? GRRM couldn’t finish the books fast enough. HBO and the showrunners needed to continue with the story and the last two seasons are not based on the books. I do wonder if some day this will fall on the broken promises of a scruffy scribe who said the stories would be ready for adaptation when needed, but they weren’t. I do wonder...

Just so many unsatisfactory things in the finale, but I’m somewhat at peace with it too. Interesting.
Wild at Heart
The tarded kid is the king now? Stupid.

Maybe if they would have added a dark twist with Bran, with the powers he has, made this happen. Like, if we got some montage of bran moving some chess pieces around to make himself king because the show is called GAME OF THRONES then maybe it would be more satisfying.

Plus Sansa says that the north is going to be independent, which is fine, but Yara, Dorn and the Vale are just fine being ruled by a king in king's landing when they have a chance to be independent? Stupid and doesn't make sense. They should have had everyone just being independent and NO ONE takes the throne. Drogon melting the throne was stupid too. Like why.... He's a dragon not a showrunner going durr if he melts the throne that's cool. Every kingdom should have been independent and the throne should have been moved to a relic room or museum or some shit. Just stupid.

Plus grey worm is straight up killing prisoners just because dani SAYS to but then he takes dani's murderers as prisoners? Makes no sense. He would have killed them if the writers wanted to be consistent with his character. Grey Worms character makes no sense in the second half of the finale.
Lurker

It wouldn't be a Benioff and Weiss effort without a plastic bottle in the scene.

John Oliver had a great segment a couple weeks ago with Davos holding a can of Pringles behind his back. I can't find a picture, but it was damn funny.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely?

Did we see that with Dany? With Benioff & Weiss?

Or was it something completely different with both of them?

I think the latter. She didn't need to die and the show didn't need to end as it has, all feels aside.

Just like a great orgasm, you can't rush a great story, or the climactic ending will feel unsatisfying. You'll know that it could have been so much better.
The Linebacker
No exposed titties in the final episode!

I am upset and offended by that!

Dany murdered by her nephew lover, who had been withholding the penis lately? How Targaryan is that? A lot! Obviously too much inbreeding in that family tree (not many branches).

A bit of a hokey mcpokey ending.
Raised on Blackroot
Season was ass. Writing was ass. Of the eight seasons, 5,7,8 were pretty much almost entirely garbage.
All of season 8 was horrible. It felt like they had given up on the show and just wanted it to be over. A few things that irritated me: the dwarf lives? I don't know about you but I was expecting him to be killed in the final episode. They took away Jon's weapons when he went to see Tyrion but didn't take them when he went to see their Queen? I know the dragon was there but they knew it wouldn't hurt him, so they should have taken the weapons. The dragon melts the throne? Why? It's not like the throne killed it's mother, but yet it turns on the throne. Weeks pass by between the death of dany and the meeting. What have the unsullied and dathraki been doing? Their queen has been murdered so they are just going to wait until the meeting of the minds to determine what to do with Tyrion and Jon. Then they vote on Bran to be the king? WTH? Arya goes to BFE! Jon gets to go free into the North (finally pets his damn dog) and Sansa gets the North. Tyrion and the rest are good to go in Kings Landing. This season ruined the whole show for me. I could never watch it again, knowing the ending.
Lurker
I truly don't understand all the hate.

I've had my criticisms over the last two seasons, but the finale episode was fine for me. I knew during season 7 that everything was going to way too rushed.

For anyone that says "the series was ruined because of the last season..." should maybe remember that this is still one of the best TV shows in history. The fact that we are still talking about it should be a clue.

You wont be seeing the same response to the season finale of Chicago Fire.

I think people need to realize the massive effort that goes into making a show like this. The last two seasons were terribly rushed, but in the end, the major themes were upheld.

There are no good or evil people.

For those that wanted to characters' arcs to be neatly tied up like some kind of Disney movie should go back and watch the entire series again from episode 1.

For me, I thought the mistakes were made in the previous season, especially that episode where they went to the north to capture a wight... That was a terribly forced injection.

And all the vitriol online calling GOT racist and sexist...? Well,that's probably a topic for a separate thread altogether..

Did it end with a whimper and not with a bang? Yeah. Because that's kind of how the series has been since the start. The second to last episode in a season has always been the big action one, and the finale has always consisted of more resolution and character stuff.

If you are mad about Jaimie or Danni and how things ended.... those endings were pretty well foreshadowed throughout the show. I agree that how those endings were achieved were far too rushed though.

A lot of people are annoyed that Bran became King. Seems like a logical choice to me. But sooo very boring.. The whole 3 eyed raven thing seemed to be a bit of of drag on the entire series. I kind of feel like Bran should have died in episode one.

While I don't hold the catastrophic views that many others have, I do think that Dan and Dave kind of dropped the ball when it came to pacing and planning. But, they spent 55 nights filming just episode 3. They did things that have never been done in the realm of TV before.

David Benioff read Game of Thrones and said "this should be a TV show." In the 90s this would have been turned into some garbage CW level prince and princess bullshit. But he took it to HBO and made it happen, warts and all.

You can look at other great shows like Sopranos or Breaking Bad... but those shows didn't have to film in multiple countries. They didn't have to decide whether to use CGI on Dragons or Wolves. They didn't have to construct battles depicting thousands of people. And anyone that has been involved in any creative pursuit should realize that this was a massive achievement despite the minor nitpicking that you may have.

To critique is ok. To call it garbage or to insinuate that it has somehow been a waste of your time is ridiculous.
Lurker
In other GOT news, casting has been completed for the first GOt spin off. (1 of 3). Filming is set to occur this summer in Northern Ireland and the Canary islands. Apparently, this will feature Naomi Watts and lots of black and brown people since there have numerous complaints that the original was not diverse enough.

I hope that these spinoffs focus on characters and work on a lower scale. Internal court machinations are far more interesting than some silly good vs evil monster invasion.

Personally, I would like to see an anthology series. Kind of like Black Mirror or The Romanovs, where they do a 80 minute episode about a specific story each time.
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by DamonX
In other GOT news, casting has been completed for the first GOt spin off. (1 of 3). Filming is set to occur this summer in Northern Ireland and the Canary islands. Apparently, this will feature Naomi Watts and lots of black and brown people since there have numerous complaints that the original was not diverse enough.

I hope that these spinoffs focus on characters and work on a lower scale. Internal court machinations are far more interesting than some silly good vs evil monster invasion.

Personally, I would like to see an anthology series. Kind of like Black Mirror or The Romanovs, where they do a 80 minute episode about a specific story each time.

i doubt that it will happen, since Maise's probably going to want to move on, but i would have loved to see a sequel focusing on her journey to the west.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
With GoT over, l am in need of another high quality, expensive, long running sword saga that shows lots of titties.

I'd love to see an Arya going west based saga.

And Naomi Watts in a GoT sequel? Seriously? Why?
That certainly doesn't excite me.
Lurker
Quote by DamonX
I truly don't understand all the hate.

I've had my criticisms over the last two seasons, but the finale episode was fine for me. I knew during season 7 that everything was going to way too rushed.

For anyone that says "the series was ruined because of the last season..." should maybe remember that this is still one of the best TV shows in history. The fact that we are still talking about it should be a clue.

For those that wanted to characters' arcs to be neatly tied up like some kind of Disney movie should go back and watch the entire series again from episode 1.

For me, I thought the mistakes were made in the previous season, especially that episode where they went to the north to capture a wight... That was a terribly forced injection.

To critique is ok. To call it garbage or to insinuate that it has somehow been a waste of your time is ridiculous.

Sorry, But I did a little cutting to your above comment to help lead into mine...

I agree. The series was amazing, and even, as Verbal said, they didn't stick the landing, it will still be regarded as one of the best ever.

I am one of those people that in fact DID re-watch the series from episode one. I binged as much as I could, when I could, and finished a couple days prior to the finale. I watched with an open but questioning eye, looking for clues and foreshadowing, and did learn more, especially about Bran. It did not help with the finale. In fact, it made watching the finale worse because I wanted controversy, but got ineptitude. I wanted rounding of the arcs, not kumbaya.

I also did something you said you did for season seven, but chosen not to for season eight - I read a lot on line. Theories. Guesses. Etc. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos - geez, some people really get into this GoT thing. I thought I was pathetic for being so impassioned by it, but whoa. There are some serious GoTphiles out there.

Having said all that, the showrunners did royally screw up. To physically do what they did, is remarkable. But I am tired of hearing that 'we filmed for 55 nights'. Fuck. We've all worked hard. We've all put in the time. Some jobs demand it on a regular basis too. But most of us don't make $300,000 or more per episode. So, I say to them, shut the fuck up and stop your whining. The finale still sucked.

Secondly, Verbal once said to me that a writer should never blame the reader. If the reader doesn't get it, especially if it's a lot of readers, then that should be telling the writer something. I don't agree with the petition, or the heated, unjustified backlash, as you've referenced above, but damn. The disgruntled viewers are right. We say rushed. We say inconsistent arcs. We say many things, and may never know the truth about the working relationship between GRRM, Benioff & Weiss, HBO, and the actors. We do know dude is ten years removed from his last novel and at 70, may die before he finishes. We do know that budget was not the issue. HBO threw millions at the boys. So, it was people. The finale was a people problem. It was people writing a script that they should not have, or at the very least, should have had someone from Lush proof read it.

The finale was not fine by me. Some aspects were moderately acceptable. But going back to your comment about capturing the wight, it didn't make sense how they did it. Why they did it, I understood, plus it was a fun idea. But if the White Walker in control is killed, then all of those wights under his control perish as well. We saw that in Hardhome. Jon killed a WW, but the wights did not die because they were under the control of The Night King. So, for the group to actually capture one was not plausible. None would have survived. Yes, I know we're talking make believe. This is a prime example of how they screwed the finale.

Very simple things could have happened in the finale that made the chosen path work. For example, if Arya had mentioned that she was curious about what was west of Westeros, although it was asked by someone and someone said that they did not know, that is far too subtle a reference. It had to be an Arya driven thing. Maybe like that she was a girl, but the girl still embraced her identity. This could have been a dream of hers that was foreshadowed a few times. A simple question by ANYONE... "What are you going to do after there are no longer names on your list?" I'm going to Disneyland!!! We could have accepted her booking a cruise to the edge of the world.

Then, when Sandor said not to follow him or his way of life, she could have taken that advice, but after she crossed off the last name on her list, that being Cersei. Damn. That whole thing could have been way cooler on the stairs. She could have taken out Jaime protecting Cersei and then the evil queen herself. It all could have happened just a few steps away from her newest best bud, The Hound. Then, he could have been watching her, and her, him, and after the J & C are killed, Arya watches and says goodbye to her friend as he takes his brother through the styrofoam block wall to their joint fiery deaths. And If you're on team Arya, she could have even killed Dani. It could have been done without anyone knowing, or with her using a mask and framing someone else, but she reveals on her boat away, in private via reflection or something, that she did the deed. Just like how we found out about Joffrey's poisoining long after the fact. We then don't get the stupid Jon ending. The Unsullied were slaughtering supporters in the streets. They would NOT have waited weeks to execute Tyrion, a confessed treasonist (is that a word?) or Jon. He must have confessed because no one was around to see him kill her, so how did anyone know? Drogon didn't tell anyone. Fuck. Don't get me started on his melting the throne. That was just stupid. He may take mommy for a final death flight in his claws, but he's not going to melt a steel chair. Smart or not, they cannot anthropomorphize a dragon. It does not know human politics.

Now THAT crap I just spewed would have worked better and satisfied many. And, others could have chimed in to tweak this working idea accordingly.

The whole Dani thing is another matter that I won't go into. But again, sheesh. Guys, seriously??? Poor Emilia watched a bunch of Hitler speeches to prepare her for her top-of-the-pops speech. I'd hate to be the guys in the back rows. "What did she say?" "I think she said she's taking us all to Disneyworld." "Never heard of it." "Me neither." "Fuck. I hope they don't have any mice there. Don't tell Khaleesi, but I'm afraid of mice." "No shit?" "No shit. They give me the eebie jeebies. If I see one, I'll cut it's fucking head off." "Pussy." "Fuck you." "Brother, blood of my blood." Then, they hug it out. Touching.

I won't go into all of the other fixes, but shit like that could have been debated and addressed properly. Instead, gaping holes of plot and time, were left up to the viewer to accept. The protest is a legitimate form of disapproval for what seems to be a lack of doing one's job properly. People are complaining because they care so damn much about the show and the time they invested watching it. It is highly improbable we will ever see a 'Who Shot JR' type of show again. The world no longer awaits for 'next week'. The main, lame networks just don't have that captured weekly viewing market any longer. GoT started before streaming was the thing. Now, we can watch a show over a weekend. Breaking Bad wasn't there yet either, but so many are, like OITNB, etc.

An aside: There will not be an Arya series. Both she and HBO said there will not. I suspect none of the actors will be incorporated into new series. That may be best.
Rookie Scribe
I actually quite fancy Cersei and was sad when she died