Favourite set in summer movies

last reply
17 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I actually had to take some time and think about this one...

It was hard to think of something off the top of my head, and when I googled "summer movies" all I got was lists of movies that came out in the summer.

So I thought of summer vacation when I was a kid. And the movie that best represents my childhood summer vacations was:

I've watched this numerous times and even though made in 1986, it still holds up. Not many 80s movies can claim that. I grew up in the same part of the world that the movie was filmed and my summer adventures resembled those of the kids in the film. Even though the original story by Stephen King was based in Maine, the movie was based and filmed in Northern Oregon.

In contrast to most 80s movies, this one is quite realistic and subtle in it's intent. Being a kid growing up in a suffocating town in the Pacific Northwest, Stand By Me captures the feeling perfectly.
Ungovernable
0 likes
Dirty Dancing
The Endless Summer (surfing documentary)
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

living dead girl
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

It was hard to think of something off the top of my head, and when I googled "summer movies" all I got was lists of movies that came out in the summer.

So I thought of summer vacation when I was a kid. And the movie that best represents my childhood summer vacations was:

I've watched this numerous times and even though made in 1986, it still holds up. Not many 80s movies can claim that. I grew up in the same part of the world that the movie was filmed and my summer adventures resembled those of the kids in the film. Even though the original story by Stephen King was based in Maine, the movie was based and filmed in Northern Oregon.

In contrast to most 80s movies, this one is quite realistic and subtle in it's intent. Being a kid growing up in a suffocating town in the Pacific Northwest, Stand By Me captures the feeling perfectly.

That movie is the best

" I dropped the comb"
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Summer of '42.
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming.
Jaws
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
The Sandlot.

Very underrated movie... Good call.
❤️️🌹Elusive Enigma 🌹❤️️
0 likes
Point Break
Field Of Dreams
The Great Outdoors
I Know What You Did Last Summer
 Kissing your lips while straddling your lap. 
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by TheSensualLady
Point Break
Keanu Reeves is a God in that movie

Jaws
0 likes
Quote by Ping

Nothing to add. One of the greats.
Lurker
0 likes
I recently watched Hot Summer Nights.

Very good.

It stars Timothy Chalamet and Maika Monroe (One of the hottest girls on Earth.)

Very original. I think it will become cult classic.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

This movie really resonated with me, especially spending part of every summer at my granddad's farm in the rural north Georgia mountains. Funny, my dad has always said it reminded him of growing up in those mountains and his childhood adventures with his best buddies.

And Kiefer Sutherland's sadistic bully character really brought home a recurring bully l had to deal with for years. Funny how hard bullies fall when you grow and catch up with them and beat the fuck out of them. Very satisfying indeed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I recently watched Hot Summer Nights.

This looks fantastic. A24 has been killing it.

Lots of good summer movies. For comedy: Wet Hot American Summer is a classic. Horror: I Know What You Did Last Summer (it's fantastically bad in the best way possible)
The Sandlot is a classic and the jokes are timeless. Jaws is incredible.

But my favorite summer movie has to be Dazed and Confused.

If you haven't seen it yet...it'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

This movie really resonated with me, especially spending part of every summer at my granddad's farm in the rural north Georgia mountains. Funny, my dad has always said it reminded him of growing up in those mountains and his childhood adventures with his best buddies.

And Kiefer Sutherland's sadistic bully character really brought home a recurring bully l had to deal with for years. Funny how hard bullies fall when you grow and catch up with them and beat the fuck out of them. Very satisfying indeed.

See, we would go on adventures like that. And there were always older kids that would hunt us down and torture us.... They seemed so big and mean at the time. Now when I go back to my home town I laugh when I see them.

They married some small town girl that was hot when she was 15 now they have 3 kids.

But when we got big, we bullied the younger kids. I remember getting the younger kids to ride as fast as they could and fire arrows into their bike spokes to make them flip over forward. My cousin was a loudmouth asshole kid, and they tortured him beyond belief. But when he got older, he became the worst sadist of all. We were sadistic fuckers. We would set viet cong style traps and hold people for hours as we dropped ants onto them and bury them in neck deep stagnant water,

Stand by Me was the closest thing to my summer vacations by far. was really into bondage and psychological torture. I would get anyone's darkest desires.... but then we could all go watch cartoons at my grandma's house and have milk and cookies and watch cartoons.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

See, we would go on adventures like that. And there were always older kids that would hunt us down and torture us.... They seemed so big and mean at the time. Now when I go back to my home town I laugh when I see them.

They married some small town girl that was hot when she was 15 now they have 3 kids.

But when we got big, we bullied the younger kids. I remember getting the younger kids to ride as fast as they could and fire arrows into their bike spokes to make them flip over forward. My cousin was a loudmouth asshole kid, and they tortured him beyond belief. But when he got older, he became the worst sadist of all. We were sadistic fuckers. We would set viet cong style traps and hold people for hours as we dropped ants onto them and bury them in neck deep stagnant water,

Stand by Me was the closest thing to my summer vacations by far. was really into bondage and psychological torture. I would get anyone's darkest desires.... but then we could all go watch cartoons at my grandma's house and have milk and cookies and watch cartoons.

It was in high school when I destroyed the bully. I'd gotten the football team to take up for the nerds and 9th graders being picked on by the bully and his gang. He didn't like that and called me out to meet after school. It didn't take but a few seconds. Funny, the dumbass hadn't noticed how much I'd grown, the muscles I had by then and the fact I'd become a good enough football player to make the local All-Star teams as a linebacker and wide receiver. Plus, I had my picture in the local paper a few times for winning martial arts trophies. From that point on, he avoided me like the plague. His jaw did have to be rebuilt. His bully gang faded away. The bully is currently serving a prison sentence for armed robbery, assault, and drug possession.

I was mostly mischievous as a kid.