Dungeons & Dragons - My secret shame

last reply
19 replies
2.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes

Forgive me Lush for I have sinned, it has been three weeks since my last confession.

I'm a D&D Player, or at least I was until recently. I've played on and off since I was about ten, enjoying the complexity of an epic battle, the clash of swords in melee combat, and the thrill of rolling a natural twenty.

I can't be the only one on Lush, can I?

Any other D&D fans out there? What are your favourite race, class and character alignments?

Don't leave me hanging... please?

Lurker
0 likes
I doubt there is an RPG made before 2000 that I have NOT played.

While D&D was one, my personal favorites were Rolemaster and Space Opera
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
yes. not like religiously or anything, but i'd sit in with some friends from time to time - i was crap with rules and all that, but i liked the story telling role playing part. i played a fairy druid.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
yes. not like religiously or anything, but i'd sit in with some friends from time to time - i was crap with rules and all that, but i liked the story telling role playing part. i played a fairy druid.

druid? pfft WoW for me, paladin all the way! Lok'tar O'gar!
0 likes
I played pretty much constantly from 1977ish (Basic D&D) until 1989 or so, then sporadically until the mid-nineties. Haven't played in probably close to 20 years, though I keep up with the scene via web forums. I would gladly play again if I had a group (the friends I played with have scattered and, in one case, passed on). A cleric (priest) and a thief were my two major characters.

We played more than just D&D, though. Most major role-playing games passed over our table during the eighties and I had personally become fond of products from Hero Games by the time I stopped playing regularly.

So, lots to confess, I guess.
0 likes
Quote by JasonM
I doubt there is an RPG made before 2000 that I have NOT played.

While D&D was one, my personal favorites were Rolemaster and Space Opera

Never did play RM with my group, but owned Space Opera for a while. Loved some aspects, not so much others.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm a huge DND gamer. I almost always play a half-elf druid. Or I am the DM.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wow. Just came across this post. Ive been play D&D since I was a kid. Still play when I can. Love the game !
Lurker
0 likes
I was the Dungeon Master.

I made elaborate maps and wrote pages and pages of fictional historical information. We would play for about 12 hours straight usually. You have to be pretty smart to play D & D. There are a fuck ton of rules.

I also collected and painted the lead figurines.

I got pretty good at mixing paints and using microscopic brushes to paint them.

Then we would go up into the mountains and play for real. We made wooden swords and shields. We used real bows and arrows, but we would cut the arrow head off and put chunks of foam on the end with duct tape. The arrows still hurt like a bitch.

I even made a room in the basement that was covered in fake stone walls, with swords, skulls, and candles everywhere.

I certainly didn't know any girls that played it though.

(Elf, Ranger, Chaotic Good)
❤️️🌹Elusive Enigma 🌹❤️️
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I was the Dungeon Master.

I made elaborate maps and wrote pages and pages of fictional historical information. We would play for about 12 hours straight usually. You have to be pretty smart to play D & D. There are a fuck ton of rules.

Then we would go up into the mountains and play for real. We made wooden swords and shields. We used real bows and arrows, but we would cut the arrow head off and put chunks of foam on the end with duct tape. The arrows still hurt like a bitch.

I even made a room in the basement that was covered in fake stone walls, with swords, skulls, and candles everywhere.

I certainly didn't know any girls that played it though.

(Elf, Ranger, Chaotic Good)

Motherfucking hell! I tried to get into the 'Nerd Club' at work to play that game but some sniveling ass punk 18-year old would never tell me the damn time the meetings started. He made sure most were held at his home so he wouldn't have to invite me because he didn't want girls there.
 Kissing your lips while straddling your lap. 
0 likes
Quote by TheSensualLady

Motherfucking hell! I tried to get into the 'Nerd Club' at work to play that game but some sniveling ass punk 18-year old would never tell me the damn time the meetings started. He made sure most were held at his home so he wouldn't have to invite me because he didn't want girls there.

he probably thinks girls have cooties
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AmeliaLeigh

he probably thinks girls have cooties

He probably wouldn't know what to do with a girl if she sat on his lap.

I used to play in the early nineties, but then I lost my virginity, and never played since.
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Nice collection, Damon.

My buddy Mike was extremely good at painting miniatures. Even made some pocket change doing it for others. He also DM'd some of our best campaigns in high school and university and had quite an elaborate world created for them. Alas, he died in his forties, though we had all kind of scattered by then and weren't playing as a group anymore.
Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
0 likes
Never played, but used to live with a bunch of nerds (I use that term lovingly) who hosted a weekly game. Now, I've found a couple of D&D podcasts online, and have been listening. I'm more open to learning to play it now, but don't know anyone who plays.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Idk... Gryffindor?
0 likes
I haven't been able to play much, but when I have, my character was a neutral good Dwarf warrior. I love sitting around the table and doing the accents and silly side-banter with my cohorts. I'd really love to get into a campaign (when I actually have time - haha...) as a bard of some kind just for the lolz of it.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I used to play a good bit back in 2nd edition days, Had a lot of friends who played as well. Love the D&D roleplaying computer games. My son has gotten into it now and I've Dm'ed some for he and his friends.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
While we played some old school D&D and some AD&D, we mostly played a rule set and world of my own design, drawing inspiration from pretty much everywhere.

I really should dig my minis out and take pictures of them some time. They haven't seen the light of day in around 20 years now. Nowhere to display them any more. Had to give up my display case in a cross country move. No way that piece of 5 ft. wide curved glass would have survived, and the frame ate up too much space in the Uhaul on its own.

Mindblind, ( Lowborn, Blackhawk Hall ) Christi, ( Blackhawk Hall, Casting Off Convention ) Vladamir, ( Cameo in Lowborn ) Thakkor, and Alicia ( To Catch a Merchant Princess, Queen of the Isle ) are some of my characters from the game.

The Woodland Trolls in Blackhawk Hall are some of my favorite monster creations. They were no end of irritation for my characters. I enjoyed them so much that I gave them their own gods. LOL

The dryads in my Magic of the Wood series are based more or less on the dryads from the game. My Fey Folk and Ancient Peoples stories also flow from Magic of the Wood, so they're indirectly descended from the game as well.

Third Generation of the character sheets. The originals were completely, individually hand-written. Second generation were typed up on a Brother Word Processor. The final generation were done in some graphics program that I can't remember.

Map of my most powerful wizard character's private island, pieced together from multiple scans, because it was drawn on a desk calendar.