Login

Capt. Kirk or Capt. Picard?

last reply
12 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes

Capt. Kirk or Capt. Picard?

They're different, but I don't think either of them is better than the other. Picard would not have been, without Kirk. I like both generations equally. That option lacks in this poll.

Edit: Maybe Benjamin Sisko and Kathryn Janeway too, does anyone even remember them?
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Quote by patokl
They're different, but I don't think either of them is better than the other. Picard would not have been, without Kirk. I like both generations equally. That option lacks in this poll.

Edit: Maybe Benjamin Cisco and Kathryn Janeway too, does anyone even remember them?

What about Jonathan Archer? Do you even care about Jonathan?!

The Star Trek captains have all been good fits to their respective series, with Kirk (Shatner) my personal favorite.

And who remembers the original Capt. Christopher Pike (Jeffrey Hunter)? He was quite good, and one can only wonder what the original series would have been like had history taken a different turn.

For the record, the Capt. Kirk (Chris Pine) of the new so-called "Star Trek" movies is not to be confused with a real Star Trek captain.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

The Gin Rickey Singularity -- Dirty Talk competition entry

Lucia Makes a Bet

Barn Dance

Shock Wave

Quote by GingerTamer

What about Jonathan Archer? Do you even care about Jonathan?!

I would, if I know he was more than a historic character in Star Trek, but apparently, I haven't seen everything yet.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Toughie. Two captains in rather different molds, both played by stage-trained actors, commanding ensemble casts on interstellar journeys.

Given my age, Jim is the sentimental choice. I was watching the original in syndication in the seventies and it's part of what got me into s-f in the first place. OTOH, Stewart is a phenomenal actor and Jean-Luc at his best could probably beat Jim at just about everything (Tactics, diplomacy, stirring speeches) except hand-to-hand combat (though Jean-Luc was no slouch in that department, either).

If I was going to serve on an Enterprise, though, I think I'd give Jim Kirk a slight edge. When it came to the crunch, he was happy to run roughshod over Starfleet rules and diplomatic niceties in order to keep his ship and crew intact and that would matter to me if I was on that ship as part of that crew.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

No matter what Star Trek is, it will always be Captain Kirk.
Depends on what we're deciding really. Jim is the archetypal captain of the Enterprise, but I really would with Jean-Luc.
I like all the Starfleet captains, especially Janeway, who was the best tactician, but Kirk was always the luckiest, and had the best instincts. I loved Pickard because he was the most cerebral and wise. Chris Pine is a bit too cocky, and the whole JJ Abrams alternate timeline thing is not really the same Star Trek canon universe. But I'll watch anything Star Trek, and have since I was 10 years old!
Kirk. Hubbie says Kirk too.

Brandie