I'd rather be a consumptive vegetable watching TV. (0 votes) 0%
Loved the concept, I want more! (2 votes) 50%
Good as a one off. Can't see much future in it. (3 votes) 75%
Doesn't work on my Apple device, boo hoo! (0 votes) 0%
My TV isn't smart enough. (0 votes) 0%
Matriarch
0 likes
This thread contains spoilers!

I'll start by admitting I'm a huge Charlie Brooker fan, long before he was writing the Black Mirror series. I was most dismayed when he stopped doing his yearly "Wipe" (too busy with the series).

You'll not be surprised to read then, that I thought this interactive episode was excellent.

For those who haven't watched it, it's basically like a "Choose your own adventure" book, adapted for (a Smart) TV. You get to choose between several options to progress the story, which has a multitude of pathways and endings.

I watched it several times from the start, choosing as many different options as possible, and there were a surprising number of plots and alternative endings.

Some have gone on ad nauseum about the product placements, but I think most people who know Brooker's work, realise it was most likely a deliberate parody of how TV media can be used to manipulate people (subliminally or otherwise).

There's been lots of discussion on Reddit and all over social media in general about it, and it's clearly very divisive.

What did you think?

Poll attached too for amusement purposes.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Personally, I loved it. Loved reading those adventure books when I was a kid. Charlie Brooker is brill!
0 likes
Still on my radar, as is the Black Mirror series in general. Minimal TV watching time continues to dog me. The interactive bit intrigues me, though, so I'll probably give it a whirl at some point.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I watched it and saw practically every ending within a two hour window. It was entertaining but I wasn’t really blown away by it. To be honest, I started to get a headache towards the end, watching the same dream sequence and dead-body troubles over and over. Part of the issue for me was that I managed to get the ‘good’ ending pretty quickly after I agreed to talk to the therapist about the mom so all further attempts were me being scolded to “try again” even though I already knew what choices to make.

Personally, I didn’t care for much of the fourth-wall and meta references as there wasn’t anywhere to go with them in the story and they all ran into bad endings or were the result of bad endings. It was a cleaver gimmick, I’ll give them that, and it made me exctied the first or second time I ran into it. By the tenth it was just an indication to me that I was on the wrong path or it was awknowldging/scolding me for being on a redo because I screwed up earlier.

One of my regular activities is to watch tech videos on YouTube, especially when it comes to how older technology worked. When I made it to the “secret ending” (not a secret ending really, just get the “good” ending and sit through the credits) I immediately recognized the weird noises as computer code as heard from a cassette data drive. I don’t have the necessary technology to analyze the audio inputs but fortunately other people have already posted the results. It takes you to a webpage where you can play the computer games from the film/episode so in that regard it reminded me quite a bit about the contest after the release of Ready Player One (the excellent book not the mediocre movie).

I think there is potential with this concept but I’m not holding my breath.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Matriarch
0 likes
I am in agreement with you hopp3r, almost 100%.

The repetition involved, particularly with the violent scenes (rather nauseous inflicting), did become grating.

But as a concept and something completely different from the usual TV series offerings, I found it very well done.

I had no idea about that website you mentioned. Thanks! And yes, I do remember those cassette data noises (showing my age there). I'll check it out.

EDIT: There are some other Easter Eggs in it apparently.
Lurker
0 likes
I watched this on the weekend. I didn't love the concept, but I did enjoy it... up to a point. Yes, going back time-after-time was grating, as Nicola said. I still don't really know if I've finished watching the show. Does it end? Is there a true ending? I don't know but I won't be going back to find out.

Sadly, the 80's theme was a hook. I remember games looking like that and of course, the music. I remember playing Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the Bandersnatch video game and the show reminded me of that. I don't know what the name is of the dude with the bleached hair, but I did like him. Actually, I liked all the actors. The therapist was very pretty AKA hot. Lovely smile 'n stuff.

My son recently watched some show on Netflix that did the same thing. I can't recall if it was Pokemon, or Skylanders, or something else. He enjoyed it, but did not rave about it. I feel the same way, except I feel differently about the therapist.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I thought it was fantastic as a concept/gimmick and average as a stand-alone episode/story.

I definitely enjoyed it and spent 2-3 hours trying to get to all the endings. Then, I spent another hour researching it online afterward.

I would like to see maybe 1-2 more attempts at the choose-your-own-adventure type of visual storytelling, but I really hope it doesn't become a fad.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would like to see this concept explored but instead of different outcomes the choices dictate whose perspective a story is seen from. It could even be like Roshomon where events look completely different depending on whose perspective is being used, leaving the audience to interpret what the ‘true’ nature and sequence of events were. I’m picturing something maybe in line with the accident investigation from Crocodile but without the cripplingly depressing story and ending.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?