Login

Avengers: Endgame Spoilers!

last reply
26 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
I just walked out of Avengers Endgame and was moderately pleased.

Lot's of good stuff here.

First of all, the CGI was great. compare the CGI in the ending of this movie to the third act of Black Panther.

As a comic fan, one of the biggest issues that I've had was that they have been writing the same characters for 70 years. Life and death seem to mean nothing and they just keep recycling characters and alternate storylines in order to continue to profit of the IP. It's nice to see certain things wrap up.

I thought Captain America would die, but I'm fine with the line that they went with. I feel like after Civil war, they should have made another Cap movie where he sheds the identity and becomes a vigilante traveling around the Southwest on a motorcycle. (Nomad.) He gave the shield the Falcon, which was weird since Falcon and Bucky have a streaming show coming out on Disney's new app.

I'm fine with Iron Man dying, although I feel like War Machine should have died a while ago.

I like that Black Widow died. It was unexpected. And her character rely doesn't lend itself well to the types of storylines that are upcoming. They are doing a Black Widow movie though, so I assume it will be more of a prequel type political thriller.

I love the new Hulk. As a previous reader of the comic, I like the mix. The CGI looked really good too.

With the scenes of Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch, it made me think of Avengers West Coast. Though there are also Hawkeye and Wanda/Vision TV series in development respectively.

The female characters came off as very deep and interesting for the most part. Aside from the "girl power" scene in the third act, I think it was handled nicely. Especially, Nebula.

I generally hate time travel story lines, because I feel like it's kind of a get out jail free card, but I guess this movie did it was good as it could have. From here on out, I hope that they avoid time traveling and focus on the characters.
I’m happy I watched the movie today before seeing this post!! I was mixed in my feelings. I love the movie but cried like a baby as well during some parts. Overall I think it was a great movie!!
Lurker
Quote by AmeliaLeigh
I’m happy I watched the movie today before seeing this post!! I was mixed in my feelings. I love the movie but cried like a baby as well during some parts. Overall I think it was a great movie!!

I actually almost cried as well... I had to fight it back since I was in a 4 pm showing with theater full of 13 year olds.
Her Royal Spriteness
not going to pretend. i ugly cried twice and there was a bit of tear leakage inbetween the ugly cries. i loved it. thought they handled it pretty much perfectly. lol really enjoyed the 'let's go kill thanos - ok - WHACK! ok, now what?' really wasn't expecting that! smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
I would have liked to see Hulk have another go with Thanos, this new version was kind of timid. At the funeral, I would have liked to see Dr. Palmer with Wong and Dr. Strange
Quote by DamonX

I actually almost cried as well... I had to fight it back since I was in a 4 pm showing with theater full of 13 year olds.

We too went to an early showing as well. I was annoyed at all the younger kids in there bc of all the moving around and asking questions and parents constantly shushing kids. I know I wasn’t the only one crying though lol a lot of sniffling in the theatre especially the moment with Spider-Man saying “We won Mr Stark” and then with Pepper telling him he can rest because they were going to be ok now.
Quote by sprite
not going to pretend. i ugly cried twice and there was a bit of tear leakage inbetween the ugly cries. i loved it. thought they handled it pretty much perfectly. lol really enjoyed the 'let's go kill thanos - ok - WHACK! ok, now what?' really wasn't expecting that! smile

Even AFTER the movie I was still upset in the vehicle lol, my husband asked “Did you really think they’d all survive?”
Ugh YEAH!!! well at least Ironman was supposed too :/ but I guess Hollywood knew which one would get the biggest reaction
Omg the part where Hawkeye and Nat were both sacrificing themselves to save the other ??
Lurker
I just hope that in phase 4, they will avoid any time travel.

With the X-men now in play I hope they keep them a bit separate... I feel like FOX fucked up the Xmen. I would like to see them done right with an R rating.
Baked Orange
Quote by DamonX
Aside from the "girl power" scene in the third act, I think it was handled nicely.

Hey, I liked that "girl power" scene. Some bad bitches in that lineup;)

For real, though, it was good. Pretty much went how I expected. Not the least bit surprised it was Tony Stark who figured out time travel -- or that he died. He spent the last decade trying to take care of the world. He deserved to rest.

Quote by sprite
not going to pretend. i ugly cried twice and there was a bit of tear leakage inbetween the ugly cries

Duuuuuude. I forgot to bring tissues. Bad idea.

All in all, I loved it for what it was.
Lurker
Quote by TangerineSky
Hey, I liked that "girl power" scene. Some bad bitches in that lineup;)

Yeah, it was a toss out to A-Force in the comics. It came across as a bit heavy handed.

They did this in the last one as well. Strong female characters should speak for themselves. In Infinity War they did a whole women vs women thing...It came off as cheesy.

The MCU has done a good job of walking the line. This last scene of 8 female superheros doing the superhero landings was kind of ridiculous though.

Just treat everyone the same, no vagina power... Things will work out.
Somebody's Dreams
Quote by DamonX

Yeah, it was a toss out to A-Force in the comics. It came across as a bit heavy handed.

They did this in the last one as well. Strong female characters should speak for themselves. In Infinity War they did a whole women vs women thing...It came off as cheesy.

The MCU has done a good job of walking the line. This last scene of 8 female superheros doing the superhero landings was kind of ridiculous though.

Just treat everyone the same, no vagina power... Things will work out.

no one every complains when it's a whole bunch of guys doing the same thing. Just an observation.

I'd love it if you read my story for the Notorious Competition.

The Temptress of Tanner Street
Thank you for letting me know that I haven't missed anything.
I lost interest after Hulk smashed Loki that one time.
Lurker
Quote by AliceDee

no one every complains when it's a whole bunch of guys doing the same thing. Just an observation.

Except for all the women that say "why aren't there more female super heroes...."

Please look up "pandering" in the dictionary.
Somebody's Dreams
Quote by DamonX

Except for all the women that say "why aren't there more female super heroes...."

Please look up "pandering" in the dictionary.

I know what pandering means. Here's one for you to look up. "Condescending".

I'd love it if you read my story for the Notorious Competition.

The Temptress of Tanner Street
Lurker
I really liked it! I watched it in parts because I was so busy on and off, but every time I broke away I was excited to see whatever was coming next. I assumed it was going to be, you know, another Avengers film and a reason to punch and beat enemies up, but I was blown away with the story and the plot, which turned out to be so rich and complex! It was so unexpected and gripping when everyone was running into their own problems going into the past just when they thought the mission was clean cut! I mean, did the directors really plan out this movie ever since the very first Avengers and Marvel movies? All the connections were so amazing! I want to rewatch them all to see parts where Endgame ties in and actually takes place!

I'm not sure I like the new Hulk... They took away his whole "thing", which was trying to control his Hulk side - that was his character arc! But I did get a kick out of how they played Thor out. Thank goodness his long hair is back! He still captures my heart, even if he let himself go a little bit.

Let's see, what else... the Thanos fight was great! His character is so calm and so sure of things... it made me like him more when he gets the glove and stones all over again... so exciting and it had me totally sucked in. I did not care though however for how much time they took during the fight to show just about every Marvel character's intro to the fight because many of them I just don't care for. They were never sold well to me. So I found myself kind of waiting for the intros and mindless clashing to be over so we can get back to the stones.

Lastly, the ending was really sad. The loss of Tony would have made me cry, but they made the whole death and loss so quick that I sort of didn't feel its weight. But what really brought me to tears though was Captain America at the very end. I can't even write this and not tear up! He as an old man and having lived a good life with the woman he always loved... I mean... eesh.

Yep, I'm tearing up.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
I saw it last night and liked it much better than I expected to. I loved the first 2 Iron Mans, the first 2 Avengers, but after that I started getting burnt out on superhero movies. Even the "important" ones like Black Panther and Wonder Woman left me a little cold (I did REALLY like both Guardians of the Galaxy flicks).

But this had a lot going for it. Thanos is a really great bad guy, with the calm, thoughtful temperament and all. And like Rapunzel said above, the movies all fit together really well, like Lego pieces, and it's impressive they were dealing with so many plot points simultaneously.

The best thing about the movie, and the trilogy, and in part the whole franchise, is Robert Downey Jr. Yes, I will admit to having a tiny man-crush on him. smile But his first Iron Man movie started the whole Marvel universe going, and his charisma has really powered the franchise more than anyone else. His complex friendship with Captain America is really nuanced. And his meeting with his father and his death at the end were the most moving sections of the movie. With him and Cap now gone, the movies just won't be the same. A long, sustained, brilliant performance by him.

Oh, and this: Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch is HOT!
Lurker
Quote by AliceDee

I know what pandering means. Here's one for you to look up. "Condescending".

I'm pretty sure I have a Phd in that....

I'm completely aware that I was being condescending. Do you realize that they were pandering? Or do you think that they did that in order to not open up the female market to buy action figures... a billion dollar market that for the last three decades has been the realm of young boys and middle aged virgin males?

This is all good stuff. But lets not pretend that these feminist shots are anything other than to sell happy meals to sub teens with vaginas.

Like I said, this was a shout out to A force, but watch deadpool to see the ridiculousness in the whole "superhero landing." The whole sequence ended up being a cheesy interlude in what was otherwise a pretty good finale.

I'm a fan of good female characters... But taking a woman and then shoehorning her into some the role of a 1950s action hero just doesn't work. No matter how they stick the CGI landing.
Finally watched this. Wasn't as good as the previous one. Entertaining but Marvel usually do better. They tried to cram too much story in, imo. I actually thought antman was the best! It should be a crime to make Thor look like that
Active Ink Slinger
When I heard "On your left" the entire theater fell completely silent, even as that first portal appeared. The moment Black Panther steps through and the other portals form, tthe place erupted in cheers. When Black Panther and the others chant "Yibambe!" the place grew louder. And FINALLY, after years and years.... We got "Avengers Assemble!". After following these characters for so many movies, that's a moment I'll never forget.

And, yeah, I absolutely ugly cried when that happened and even more so when Tony sees Peter and gives him the biggest hug ever. I know some people enjoyed Infinity War more (definitely ugly cried during that one, too) but I think I actually enjoy them both equally for different reasons. Also really like that Ant Man and Hawkeye were a part of it this time around.
Wild at Heart
Quote by DamonX

I'm pretty sure I have a Phd in that....

I'm completely aware that I was being condescending. Do you realize that they were pandering? Or do you think that they did that in order to not open up the female market to buy action figures... a billion dollar market that for the last three decades has been the realm of young boys and middle aged virgin males?

This is all good stuff. But lets not pretend that these feminist shots are anything other than to sell happy meals to sub teens with vaginas.

Like I said, this was a shout out to A force, but watch deadpool to see the ridiculousness in the whole "superhero landing." The whole sequence ended up being a cheesy interlude in what was otherwise a pretty good finale.

I'm a fan of good female characters... But taking a woman and then shoehorning her into some the role of a 1950s action hero just doesn't work. No matter how they stick the CGI landing.

You’re arguing about super hero movies on the internet.

Lol
Advanced Wordsmith
One of the best movies I've seen because I had such low expectations going into it. Left it emotional and satisfied. Good ending for sure to the series
Lurker
Quote by Magical_felix

You’re arguing about super hero movies on the internet.

And you're following me around bitching at me for talking about superheroes on the internet.
Wild at Heart
Quote by DamonX

And you're following me around...

Gee, never heard that before.

Whaaa Magical Felix is following me around posting mean things
Lurker
Quote by Magical_felix

Gee, never heard that before.

Whaaa Magical Felix is following me around posting mean things

I don't recall ever saying that you nipping at my heels was a bad thing. Once again for some reason, you are gleaning self worth from me giving you my attention.

By all means, continue. Maybe you should change your name to magicaloxpecker?

Oh wait? Are you going to try and skim some pseudo-racist connotations from that comment? I know it's hard but I'm sure you can do it. smile
Rookie Scribe
My favorite moment of the entire movie is in this scene. The movie is really great, and I enjoyed every minute of this 3-hour epic movie.
Wild at Heart
Quote by DamonX

I don't recall ever saying that you nipping at my heels was a bad thing. Once again for some reason, you are gleaning self worth from me giving you my attention.

By all means, continue. Maybe you should change your name to magicaloxpecker?

Oh wait? Are you going to try and skim some pseudo-racist connotations from that comment? I know it's hard but I'm sure you can do it. smile

I must have really pulled your cord this time, over superheroes of all things, which is telling... but yeah, I’ve read this three times and I can’t make any sense of it.