Login

Just wondering about something?

last reply
23 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
I am currently working on a story can the name Carly,be spelled different Like Carley,or Karley, which of the name would you prefer to go by if you were writing this person as a character? I am still new at writing stories. Any help will be greatly appreciated,I know that it's my choice but a little insight would be nice.

thank you.
Lurker
Quote by InnocentBliss87
I am currently working on a story can the name Carly,be spelled different Like Carley,or Karley, which of the name would you prefer to go by if you were writing this person as a character? I am still new at writing stories. Any help will be greatly appreciated,I know that it's my choice but a little insight would be nice.

thank you.
Karley...I would think it would keep readers interested on character
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Fletch64
Karley...I would think it would keep readers interested on character

If the story is sexual in nature, as I would figure it is, I believe Karley is the most sinuous and sexy.

Nawty
Gentleman Stranger
Quote by InnocentBliss87

thank you.

I always struggle on names too. Often it is one of the tougher decisions, which is silly, but I tend to shy away from mundane names unless I'm writing a mundane character. I also like names I can shorten, because I'll likely be typing them a lot. I've used Allison (Alli), Kaitlyn (Kaity), Kristi, Kaci, and Kori (seems like I was hung up on the letter K for awhile) as well as Elizabeth (I went with Beth for short, coulda been Liz too I guess) and Marci, among others.

On yours I like Karley (that partiality to K again, maybe?) or even Karli. Just my and worth every penny!
Advanced Wordsmith
I can get the names pretty quick,but I;m not sure what readers enjoy,I don't want it to be just about the sex,want put the passion and sensuality and emotion too,I don't know if this true, the sex is no fun without emotion passion or sensuality.as i have read some to give me kind of an idea but they jump right into it.The only problem i have with the stories is the editing part..it kicks my buttocks most times.
Advanced Wordsmith
it doesn't matter what the readers enjoy as long as the Author does.

Everyone hates editiing.. I know I do lol xxx
Unicorn Wrangler
My only advice is to not use the same name in multiple stories unless you're using the same characters (in a series or multi-chapter story.) If you want the name to have some significance, Google what the name means. Sometimes you can throw in an Easter Egg with a name that has a hidden meaning.
Lurker
Sometimes a name helps "flavor' the story, Such as Peckle Stic or Favorous Sweete.
Rainbow Warrior
I prefer Carly, even though Carly Fiorina kinda ruined the name for me.
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I prefer Carly, even though Carly Fiorina kinda ruined the name for me.

I just think of Carly Simon instead.

Names should be kept fairly simple unless you're trying to be allegorical or something (naming a Christian character "Grace" and that sort of thing). Ian Fleming picked the name James Bond off the cover of a book (Birds of Jamaica by James Bond or something along that line) because it was fairly plain and, in Fleming's words, "dull". I think he was on to something there. Flowery names are good in some contexts (e.g. fantasy) but simple works best if you're dealing with real world people, which is what most erotica is dealing with.
Advanced Wordsmith
Also another thing I was wondering when I'm introducing the characters Can the writer or author describe a little bit about their character? For example their looks something to give the readers an idea of what she or he looks like,and also their personality or do I leave those two things to the readers imagination?
Lurker
Quote by InnocentBliss87
Also another thing I was wondering when I'm introducing the characters Can the writer or author describe a little bit about their character? For example their looks something to give the readers an idea of what she or he looks like,and also their personality or do I leave those two things to the readers imagination?

Maybe a quick blurb ..But I have said that a good book is the Movie in your head...
So Imangination works too...I like a good book.
Sophisticate
Quote by InnocentBliss87

You should find ways to let the reader know what they look like without what we call the laundry list, e.g. Redhead, green eyes, 36DD breasts and long legs. Or, tall, dark and handsome with a 9-inch penis.

That is what most readers do not want to read.
Lurker
I was wondering, if anyone would be interested, in collaborating on a story?
Advanced Wordsmith
Oh don't worry Sophisticate,I wouldn't give a half ass description like that of a character or their personality,I'm just trying to pick readers or writers brains on what would be good? cause Im still new to writing,some times it is a bit hard to write I'm not sure If lush allows you to put in a few swear words in,not like dirty ones,the one the usually hear every day..
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by InnocentBliss87
Oh don't worry Sophisticate,I wouldn't give a half ass description like that of a character or their personality,I'm just trying to pick readers or writers brains on what would be good? cause Im still new to writing,some times it is a bit hard to write I'm not sure If lush allows you to put in a few swear words in,not like dirty ones,the one the usually hear every day..

lol - hard to write sex stories without a few swear words - knock yourself out! smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Advanced Wordsmith
That's all I needed to hear sprite,and hello by the way smile it's been a while
Lurker
I dig the unusual ... I like KARLY
The Bee's Knees
i like unusual spellings of names. it tells a bit about the character's, and the author's personality. the names chosen for characters can be very telling, it's nice to see that so many are thoughtful about it.

regarding 'the laundry list' - ditch it. physical traits is one area where i feel less is more. while reading a good story, i often envision myself as a character and less detail makes it easier to do so.

good luck on your story!

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
Day Gum...kinda looking forward to reading this book.
Lurker
For crunchy sweet taste, call her Caramel or Caramelly.... lol
Advanced Wordsmith
Just one more thing,,can i mention a television show,or actor in my story and the name of the television show?? I dunno if lush will allow that so just double checking.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by InnocentBliss87

thank you.

I always try to pattern my characters & their names after real people I've know.
Lurker
Quote by InnocentBliss87

thank you.

That is GOING to be one Hell of a Story...Looking to read that one..Now that I am acquainted with some of the "stars"