Login

Chinese/Japanese

last reply
9 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
Does anyone know how to write chinese or japanese and can translate it??
i love dirty nasty filthy steamy hot sex!
Active Ink Slinger
well i was looking to get a tattoo so idk if i trust google translate lol. i dont want it to say something crazy
i love dirty nasty filthy steamy hot sex!
Lurker
When I was a teenager I got into Sumi-e (Japanese brush and ink drawing) and learned a few words in Kanji. All I remember now are the symbols for middle, mountain, bamboo and eternal, and that's only 'cause they are simple. However, I had a book on Sumi-e which have some 'deep and meaningful' phrases to add to the paintings, things like "On the mountain the bamboo blossoms eternally." (okay, I made that one up lol)

It might be worth checking out your local bookshop to see whether they have anything. Having said that I would still get the phrase checked out before omitting it to skin.
Active Ink Slinger
Yeah, I wouldn't trust google translate, I live with two Chinese girls, and a Japanese student. When they don't understand things, I am always typing it into some translator or other and a lot of the time they get the meaning, but the translations aren't correct.
Lurker
A reputable tattoo studio should be able to help you...
Active Ink Slinger
I read traditional Chinese, and I always, ALWAYS caution people against getting character tats. The Asian languages doesnt "work" the same way english does- one character does not always have one meaning. It's always grammatically better to string a whole phrase together. There is no ONE character that means (and these are the ones I've see) beautiful, sisters, strength, thoughtful, mysterious. It takes two or three characters sometimes- there's the context too, and different characters is used in different context. There is one word for love, but ther are so many people with that tat it's cliche.

And then there is the issue of the handwriting. I've seen it so badly done akin to the handwriting of a three year old. Asian handwriting - be it Chinese or Japanese , takes years to perfect. Its Hard for me to explain the nuance.

My suggestion is unless your tattoo artist is Asian, or you're getting your tattoo in Hong Kong or Tokyo, go with somthing in English, French, Spanish....
Active Ink Slinger
Very minimal. My mom is Chinese, and I learned Mandarin from her until an extent.