Body Modification

last reply
15 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I just watched a documentary called Flesh & Blood and it got me thinking of body modifications: piercings,tattoos, trans dermal implants etc...

In any case people do theses things for a couple of reasons, spirituality,sexual enlightenment, shock value..

as well as having human suspensions in it, which to be honest it interested me quite a bit.

Personally I want my nipple, labret(the bottom middle part of your lower lip) and maybe one day my hood.
as for human suspension the only reason I would do it is for sexual or spiritual enlightenment.

anyways, I'm ranting now...what say you?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I can't say I'd ever try human suspension, no matter how enlightened I was supposed to be at the end of it. I have a high pain threshold, but it's just not my thing.

I'm not really into piercings personally, but I do have a small tattoo that I got because it had personal meaning to me, and was symbolic of something important... not for the design aspect of body modification.

In general, I like tattoos... but not so much into the heavy piercings and dermal implants. I wouldn't judge others for getting them though. Body modification is a personal choice and I find it intriguing especially when there is personal meaning behind it or a story.

Then again, if someone wants to get horn implants or sharpen their teeth to look like a vampire, hey, all the more power to them if they are confident this is how they want to represent themselves as individuals. People should do whatever makes them happy and more confident in who they are and what they want to be.
Lurker
0 likes
I think it's down to personal choice and I have to admit that I do like men with tattoos. Having said that I do feel that nowadays if you want to be unique, don't get any inkwork or tattoos done.
Lurker
0 likes
I've always wanted a tattoo, but I'm a bit scared, not of the pain, but of the idea that I might get addicted. I have friends who have ink and they tell me that it's addictive, so I think I may stay away, due to my addictive personality. On the piercing front, I'd get a nose ring in my septum just for the sexual thrill of being dragged along by a chain attached to it.
Lurker
0 likes
I really appreciate the idea of individuality behind the concept of body modification. How far you go with these modifications are entirely up to personal choice.

On the piercing front, I find the "decoration" aspect very attractive. I do have my reservations and limits when it comes to quantity. I´m not really into heavy piercing or implants.

With tattoos, I have the same feeling. I love the decoration aspect, however in this case you are able to have a more personal / intimate perspective. I doubt anyone who accepts the idea getting something as permanent as a tattoo will do it without some kind of story or meaning.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Gurlyboy
I've always wanted a tattoo, but I'm a bit scared, not of the pain, but of the idea that I might get addicted. I have friends who have ink and they tell me that it's addictive, so I think I may stay away, due to my addictive personality. On the piercing front, I'd get a nose ring in my septum just for the sexual thrill of being dragged along by a chain attached to it.

I have my full back almost completely tattooed now - to me it's a very personal thing and sort of depicts my life story, plus it's actually been a wonderfully organic and therapeutic process. My tattoo artist is absolutely amazing. We have a super connection and it's been really fantastic seeing the whole design grow as we've worked together. She's very intuitive and understanding of where I want to go with the piece.

(GB - if you ever do decide to get a tattoo, I would recommend that you go to Custom Inc in Glasgow)

I have a few piercings - earlobes - each twice, helix (top of ear, cartilage), nose, septum (although that was an impulsive decision and I almost never wear anything there) and I also had my belly button done years ago, but it pretty much grew out, so I haven't worn anything there for decades!

I've seen some pretty freaky body mods over the years, to each his own, I say, but I do not like the ones which are really deforming - like gauges in the ears that are very large - I've even seen those through lips, sides of noses etc - it grosses me out. Sub dermal implants I don't really like either.

Once my back and a cover up on an arm tattoo are finished, I'll I've gone as far as I want to go.
Lurker
0 likes
I kinda get it when it's a tribal thing (i.e. the culture where you're from yet have been displaced from or currently reside), however, the anglo-saxon from Wisconsin with sleeves, and gauging is a bit much for my taste. Nevermind the forked tongue thing. Guys like "The Rock" who have sentimental views on it or may be trying to get back to roots, that's cool. In college years, me and the guy down the hospital hall were both bed ridden after bad car wrecks. The other guy got his expired passengers name draped along his back, I committed to never drinking and driving again, and being the designated driver from then on.

I think about the one Lusher that is looking for those who actually know Chinese or Japanese in order to ensure translation. I can't but think of those walking around with ink thinking it means something sublime, while it's just gibberish.

As for suspension, YIKES!!!! Seen a couple of programs about that, and other "modifications" and I just think you can get the rush and/or centre to ones self without such measure.

Oh, P.S.

Big fake boobies are always appreciated.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

(GB - if you ever do decide to get a tattoo, I would recommend that you go to Custom Inc in Glasgow)

I have one tattoo and am looking to get another, but am having trouble finding a good artist in my city. I find so many places I visit, they want me to bring in pictures they can trace, and they won't draw it themselves. I love Glasgow, and it's not too far, maybe it will give me a good excuse to go back.

I only have ear piercings at the moment but have had others I have taken out. I think body mod can be really hot, long as it's tasteful and not too tacky. I see myself getting a few more tattoos, maybe repierce some things. I am not going to do anything too heavy - transdermal stuff or tongue splitting. I have seen some really horrible things gone wrong. In the uk you don't have to be licensed to be a piercer.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

I have my full back almost completely tattooed now - to me it's a very personal thing and sort of depicts my life story, plus it's actually been a wonderfully organic and therapeutic process. My tattoo artist is absolutely amazing. We have a super connection and it's been really fantastic seeing the whole design grow as we've worked together. She's very intuitive and understanding of where I want to go with the piece.

I have a few piercings - earlobes - each twice, helix (top of ear, cartilage), nose, septum (although that was an impulsive decision and I almost never wear anything there) and I also had my belly button done years ago, but it pretty much grew out, so I haven't worn anything there for decades!

I've seen some pretty freaky body mods over the years, to each his own, I say, but I do not like the ones which are really deforming - like gauges in the ears that are very large - I've even seen those through lips, sides of noses etc - it grosses me out. Sub dermal implants I don't really like either.

Once my back and a cover up on an arm tattoo are finished, I'll I've gone as far as I want to go.

Cheers for that. I just checked their website and their work looks pretty amazing. I do actually know someone who does tattoos cheaply (and safely, that is being clean etc), but if I ever want something more intricate, I'll definitely think about Custom Inc.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by His
as for human suspension the only reason I would do it is for sexual or spiritual enlightenment.

...what say you?

Definitely no way.

I don't like piercings on any body except for the ears pierced or a nose ring.

About tattoos. Seems like everyone at least one has them, so there is nothing unique anymore, except for when you meet someone who has none. I have seen some great sleeves and various other big-assed tats, but it is getting to the point where it actually turns me off. To see women covered in tats isn't sexy either - when I fast forward in my head what they will look like at 50 or 70 or 90 - definitely not so sexy when all the ink starts to run together into a black/green blob.
Lurker
0 likes
For human suspension, I guess it would have to be how my lifes turns out before I would consider it, but those are the reasons I would do it. I find with tattoos it seems that you have to be the right person to get a big peice our several.

Personally for me, I want a black star outlined in dark blue in the middle of my neck and maybe the word freedom on the side of my rib cage( I highly doubt I will get it though).
Purveyor of Sweetness
0 likes
Quote by His
I just watched a documentary called Flesh & Blood and it got me thinking of body modifications: piercings,tattoos, trans dermal implants etc... Personally I want my nipple, labret(the bottom middle part of your lower lip) and maybe one day my hood..... anyways, I'm ranting now...what say you?

ok His, obviously i wasn't paying attention to the forum when we were having this conversation by PM.... lol... my message is still the same.....

1. pierce what you want to.... i have never regretted having my nipples done... ever....

2. tattoo in places that don't sag...

3. make sure that whoever you have do work on you has certifications from whoever does that....
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rxtales

I have one tattoo and am looking to get another, but am having trouble finding a good artist in my city. I find so many places I visit, they want me to bring in pictures they can trace, and they won't draw it themselves. I love Glasgow, and it's not too far, maybe it will give me a good excuse to go back.

I only have ear piercings at the moment but have had others I have taken out. I think body mod can be really hot, long as it's tasteful and not too tacky. I see myself getting a few more tattoos, maybe repierce some things. I am not going to do anything too heavy - transdermal stuff or tongue splitting. I have seen some really horrible things gone wrong. In the uk you don't have to be licensed to be a piercer.

I really couldn't recommend them highly enough - one of the nice things is that they will take ages having a consultation with you, talking through designs - from your sketches and their own, until you both agree that the design is the one for you and that it will work where you want it on your body.

They don't charge for that either and they are a very friendly, welcoming bunch.

Custom Inc

The way I see it is this. If you are going to commit to having your body permanently marked, then you should be delighted with it, proud of it...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To each their own it is all art and one persons likes will likely be completely different from another. I find it funny that MsYumm doesn't like piercings and I like almost all of them, yet she likes nose piercings and I think they're kind of gross. It does give some perspective though LOL I have my ears, nipples and tongue done and my tongue is gauged, but I don't like the way other more decorative piercings look when they are gauged. I have 8 tattoos and plans to get more. I also want my lower lip pierced, my hood pierced and maybe more after that. I have put some thought into doing a suspension, but I think I might do a corset piercing first.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have my ears pierced, and I only did it because all the girls in my grade were raving about how awesome it was. Otherwise, I'm not too comfortable piercing anything else, first because my mom would go off on me, and two, I don't know where else to pierce, haha.
I would like to get a tattoo, eventually. Perhaps one on my shoulder, and/or back.

But honestly, I think body art can be beautiful in moderation. I'm not one that particularly likes a whole bunch of tattoos and piercings, but if there are a few beautiful ones, those are totally fine smile
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I recently met a man without a piercing or a tat.

Wow

He was beautiful! No ink fadings or bleeding. I must say, the tats are beginning to turn me off.