Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Story Comment spam

last reply
8 replies
1 watcher
0 likes
Voyeur @ f/64

After yesterday's deluge, the spam comments have been removed from my Profile/Comments page. They still remain on many of my stories and I can't delete them now. Will they eventually disappear or do I have to live with them, essentially allowing the spam bot to succeed?

Site administrator

Quote by kistinspencil

After yesterday's deluge, the spam comments have been removed from my Profile/Comments page. They still remain on many of my stories and I can't delete them now. Will they eventually disappear or do I have to live with them, essentially allowing the spam bot to succeed?

I am more than happy to delete the comments if you give me the details?

Voyeur @ f/64

Quote by simplyjohn

Quote by kistinspencil

I am more than happy to delete the comments if you give me the details?

Thank you, SJ. When I first reported it, I asked if I should delete the comments, but never heard back. Now, with the Comment Page entries gone, I will have to go through each story and make a list. I'll PM when I can.

From what I saw, the bot hit lots of people's stories across numerous categories, so there's a lot of cleanup to be done.

Writius Eroticus

Yeah. Spammers are a royal pain.

I expect something can be done at the database level to remove all the comments linked to the (now defunct) account. Mass deletion will require developer intervention so might not be immediate. It's been flagged.

Content deletion is not a cut and dried case. Authors who decide to delete their account may leave anonymous content behind for a host of reasons - and that's desirable for the community. But for spammers, Admins need tools to remove the accounts and linked content.

I believe (could be wrong) that there are no such tools in place right now because the partner site's forum was previously not publicly accessible - it was paid access only, so spam wasn't an issue. Since we've come along, the forum is now available to anyone after registering an account, so the tools to combat spam need to be correspondingly bolstered.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 111 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Writius Eroticus

Quote by kistinspencil
with the Comment Page entries gone, I will have to go through each story and make a list.

Oooft, that's annoying. I didnt expect that, but thinking about it with my System Architecture hat on, it makes sense. The link between the list on the Comments page and the actual comment must get severed when the account is deleted because it's keyed via the account.

The link is good (in most ways) because it cuts down on duplication and means that if anyone edits a comment, both parties see the edits immediately, instead of seeing a stale copy/notification (like we had on Lush 1, which was annoying). Data here is stored in one place and everything else links to it.

But when the link is removed (an account is deleted) it leaves "orphan" content on stories and no way for us mortals to find them from the interface. That's something the spam combatting tools will need to take into account when they're made available.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 111 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Site administrator

If anyone else wants the spammer comments removed please either send me a message, with the relevant details (url's would be nice), or post here and I will deal with them.

Active Ink Slinger

Quote by simplyjohn

If anyone else wants the spammer comments removed please either send me a message, with the relevant details (url's would be nice), or post here and I will deal with them.

In my case it seems to be about my 20 most recent stories prior to yesterday have an invitation to sex comment from Unknown User. I would like the comments removed please if it is not too much trouble and I will list the 20 (approx) stories if you wish. If it is much of a problem, the comments can stay.

Ungovernable

Quote by PJH

Quote by simplyjohn

In my case it seems to be about my 20 most recent stories prior to yesterday have an invitation to sex comment from Unknown User. I would like the comments removed please if it is not too much trouble and I will list the 20 (approx) stories if you wish. If it is much of a problem, the comments can stay.

I think I deleted all yours; PM me if you find more.

Active Ink Slinger

Quote by FirstBlush

Quote by PJH

Quote by simplyjohn

I think I deleted all yours; PM me if you find more.

Thank you so much. It seems that you have done so.