Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Long or breakdown into pieces

last reply
7 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
What is better—— long story (approximately 6000+ words) or it broken down into 3 parts of 2000 words each. Personally, I thought I ‘d ask a pro and hear the reasons why for both sides of the argument. I have discussed this with my fellow writers and it is about a 50/50 split
Active Ink Slinger
I don't consider either approach "better" or "worse". It depends on the complexity of the plot or whatever you are trying to convey in your story. If there is a logical breaking point in a long story, then perhaps breaking it up into parts would be easier for the reader, as not everybody wants to invest the time to read a long story in one sitting. In that regard, the reader can more easily stop at a logical spot and resume reading later. However, if you have to put in some sort of artificial breaking point that interrupts the story's flow, I would favor one longer story.

My stories thus far have all been under 3,000 words, but that is not to say they'll all be that way.
Cat lover =^..^=
In my personal opinion I prefer shorter stories, because I tend to get easily distracted and it would be hard for me to finish reading a very long story.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Romantic_Cameo
In my personal opinion I prefer shorter stories, because I tend to get easily distracted and it would be hard for me to finish reading a very long story.

Good to know, Cameo. I prefer writing in short bursts and linking flashes into a longer story in multiple parts. That helps me get the words out, without worrying about whether my writing is good enough or if all the pieces make sense.
My story in the Notorious competition, Abbey on Top has been described as "fun and arousing", "witty and erotic", and "sexy and hot". ?
Go see for yourself. ?
Advanced Wordsmith
Do you as readers look at word count when deciding to read a story? If so, what count is too many?
"Illegitimis non carborundum." Vinger Joe Stllwell

What you learn in life is important; those you help learn are more.
Somebody's Dreams
Quote by Pelwrath
Do you as readers look at word count when deciding to read a story? If so, what count is too many?

No. I just find one that looks interesting and read it. If it holds my interest, I read until the end, regardless of how many words. If it doesn't, I don't, even if it's short. smile

I'd love it if you read my story for the Notorious Competition.

The Temptress of Tanner Street
I am actually experimenting with an "episodic" story. 6-7 short segments, each around or a bit over flash length, that together tell a story. Just wrote part 5 today. I'll start posting them one at a time when I feel they are ready. I might not wait until they are all written, but I have to be sure of where I'm headed so I don't end up orphaning the parts that are finished.
Sexy Seductive Siren
I guess the answer depends on the story. You shouldn't arbitrarily break it unless there is a suitable break in the action. Its OK to break the story if you're going to further develop the character. Sometimes the story might need an introductory chapter to put the characters, background and elements of the plot in place. The danger with any continuing stories is that I've run across some stories here in Lush wherein the writer has treated us to one or two chapters of the story and leaves us hanging. I haven't written any chapter stories simply because I'm not sure of my schedule and my time for that reason.
Meagan