Login

covers: love 'em or hate 'em?

last reply
43 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Bee's Knees
i know, i know... just the mere mention of the word can breed conversations filled with contempt and ridicule amongst most music circles. however, every now and then a cover comes along that can give you a whole new appreciation for a song or spark an interest in a new artist. they even have the ability to breathe new life into artists of yesteryear. do you have any favs? hell, even share ones you consider utter blasphemy.

i'll start:

gloria gaynor's original represents the battle cry used post breakup on a girls' night out. however, chantay savage's cover is the quiet affirmation i whisper when alone and putting the pieces back together. both have their places on my playlist.

looking forward to hearing from you!

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
Really good covers:

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (orig. Bob Dylan)
It's All Right - Social Distortion / Mike Ness (orig Bob Dylan)
Brand New Cadillac - The Clash
Stange Fruit - Nina Simone
Crossroads - Cream (orig. Robert Johnson)
Love in Vain - Rolling Stones (Robert Johnson)
Alone Again or - The Damned
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Jeff Beck
Absolutely Sweet Marie - Jason and the Scorchers
Bouree' - Jethro Tull
Gloria - Patti Smith
Beware of Darkness - Concrete Blonde
Dear Prudence - Siouxie and the Banshees

Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad covers out there.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
Quote by honeydipped
gloria gaynor's original represents the battle cry used post breakup on a girls' night. however, chantay savage's cover is the quiet affirmation i whisper when alone and putting the pieces back together. both have their places on my playlist.

"This video is not available."

Too bad, since I don't know this particular core. I mostly associate the original with the gay scene.

Here's mine:

Quote by MusicRadar
In a recent interview with a British newspaper, Reznor spoke in depth about the Cash version of Hurt:

"I'd been friends with Rick Rubin for several years. He called me to ask how I'd feel if Johnny Cash covered Hurt. I said I'd be very flattered but was given no indication it would actually be recorded.

"Two weeks went by. Then I got a CD in the post. I listened to it and it was very strange. It was this other person inhabiting my most personal song.

"I'd known where I was when I wrote it. I know what I was thinking about. I know how I felt. Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend. It felt invasive".

It was the moving video, though, that made it all fall into place for the Nine Inch Nails star: "It really, really made sense and I thought what a powerful piece of art.

"I never got to meet Johnny but I'm happy I contributed the way I did. It felt like a warm hug. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out. I have goose bumps right now thinking about it.

"Having Johnny Cash, one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time, want to cover your song, that's something that matters to me. It's not so much what other people think but the fact that this guy felt that it was worthy of interpreting.

"He said afterwards it was a song that sounds like one he would have written in the '60s and that's wonderful".

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/trent-reznor-talks-johnny-cash-168199

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Another, for the simple reason that everyone should have heard this one at least once... how to twist and bend a classic into an entire new classic in it's own right:

Advanced Wordsmith
Disturbed's cover of Sound Of Silence is probably one of the better covers out there,for those of you who havent heard it yet,i suggest you do,its worth listening to,even though the lyrics have been somewhat modernized to fit today's world,rather than the 70's when Simon & Garfunkle originally released the song
Her Royal Spriteness

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Advanced Wordsmith
Some covers are better but it's up to personal taste and often it simply depends on on which version you heard first. Also if the cover matches the style of music you're into at the time makes a big difference.

A few good ones mentioned above. And a couple more off the top of my head in vastly different styles...

Higher ground, Chilli peppers, originl steppenwolf.
Can't get used to loosing you, the Beat (or british beat or english beat) original popularised by Andy Williams - not sure who wrote it)
Voodoo People, Pendulum, original prodigy.

Queens of the Stone age did a decent version of Tom Waits Going out West though I still prefer the original and with all the other covers of his definitely. But Tom Waits is a good example of preference, his voice is very much an individual preference and lots of people prefer the covers.

Also lots of trip hop out there that grabs a kernel of a song and turns it into something totally new. Sometimes they almost lift the entire song and put some layers over it, change it around a bit, speed it up - whatever - to turn it into something totally new.
Chinese Man - I've Got That Tune - grabbed an old jazz number (Washboard Rhythm Kings Hummin' to Myself (1932)) and transformed it.
Kid koala on 12 bit blues sampled lots of old scratchy blues and gave them a modern feel but still keeping the old scratchy feel.

Quote by miketabcdefg
Higher ground, Chilli peppers, originl steppenwolf.

Never knew Stevie Wonder was in Steppenwolf

Short Arse Brit
Quote by chris_brown
Disturbed's cover of Sound Of Silence is probably one of the better covers out there,for those of you who havent heard it yet,i suggest you do,its worth listening to,even though the lyrics have been somewhat modernized to fit today's world,rather than the 70's when Simon & Garfunkle originally released the song

I agree. I really like Disturbed's version.

Here....

The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
I love covers!!

Totally agree with everything you have said Nia - covers have the ability to appeal to people on a whole new level. Perhaps merely reviving classics and creating accessibility, or maybe brought into a different genre, or infused with some sense of originality and the song made the artist's own.

To be honest, I think it is still encouraging some appreciation for the original artist - well at least in my case, as if I enjoy a cover I will always listen to the original to see what nuances there are that I enjoy from both.

Some of my favourites off the top of my head are:

- Knockin' on Heaven's Door ~ Guns n Roses (original Bob Dylan)
- Proud Mary ~ Tina & Ike Turner (original Creedence Clearwater Revival) - seriously I LOVE THIS.
- It's All Over Now, Baby Blue ~ Graham Bonnet (original Bob Dylan)
- 99 Red Balloons ~ Goldfinger (original Nena - German and English versions)
- Fortunate Son ~ Foo Fighters & John Fogerty (original also CCR, love this cover WITH Fogerty of CCR fame).
- Landslide ~ Bush / Gavin Rossdale (original Fleetwood Mac / Stevie Nicks)
- Tainted Love ~ The Living End (original... well I always though it was Soft Cell, but it's actually Gloria Jones)
- Turn The Page ~ Metallica (original Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band)
- Hallelujah ~ Jeff Buckley (original Leonard Cohen)
- Boys of Summer ~ The Ataris (original Don Henley)

And my band crush of the moment Halestorm, I love a lot of their ReAnimate releases.
- All I Wanna Do (Is Make Love To You) ~ originally Heart
- Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover ~ original Sophie B. Hawkins
- Heathens ~ original Twenty One Pilots
I even have some guilty pleasures such as Groove Coverage's Poison.

I love the Alice Cooper original - OF COURSE....

but shakin' my tush to Groove Coverage just hits a different spot, and both have a place!

The ultimate surf tune Miserlou by Dick Dale and The Deltones is of course also a cover, and a great one! Originally it's an old Eastern Mediterranean traditional ("Misirlou" or "Mousourlou").

The Bee's Knees
so glad to see so many responses! quite a few new ones i haven't heard, so i'll give them a listen.

the original by sade is what actually made me a fan of hers. it's so full of longing. the deftones kept that longing but gave it a raw edge.

keep posting!

Say. Her. Name.

Cryptic Vigilante
Mad World - Gary Jules (orig. Tears for Fears)

Cryptic Vigilante
Where Is My Mind? - Sunday Girl (orig. The Pixies)

Cryptic Vigilante
Winterlong - The Pixies (orig. Neil Young)

Cryptic Vigilante
Eight Miles High - Husker Du (orig. The Byrds)

Cryptic Vigilante
Do You Wanna Dance? - The Ramones (orig. Bobby Freeman)

Cryptic Vigilante
Summertime Blues - The Who (orig. Eddie Cochran)

Cryptic Vigilante
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Jeff Healey (orig. The Beatles)

Cryptic Vigilante
Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson (orig. Eurythmics)

Cryptic Vigilante
The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana (orig. David Bowie)

Cryptic Vigilante
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World - Pearl Jam (orig. Neil Young)

Cryptic Vigilante
Waiting Room - Red Hot Chili Peppers (orig. Fugazi)
(music starts at 1:00)

Detention Seeker
Now this is what I call a fantastic cover group with this version ticking all the right boxes

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
Dinosaur Jr doing The Cure's Just Like Heaven

Don't believe everything that you read.

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
Ty Segall covering The Bag I'm In by the Fabs (obscure 60s garage rock band)

Don't believe everything that you read.