Clothing

last reply
34 replies
4.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Gals, do you dress to impress men, other women, or yourself?
Lurker
0 likes
No one wants to tackle this one, hmm?
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Depends on where I am going and what I am doing and who will be there. I dont dress like an old maid unless I am at home. LOL
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Changing subject slightly, as a matter of interest - How old do you think an old maid is supposed to be? I ask as I believe many people today have the wrong idea of what is meant by the term.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Well considering that I am 30....and I think thats old! So, you make the call.
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I personally dress to impress myself.....because nobody else matters....lol...not that I dont care and I am not obnoxious or whatever....but if I dont like myself, then who will? I dress myself depending on the situation and what I expect to come of it....lol.wad11BJ2MWVqjhv8
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie
Depends on where I am going and what I am doing and who will be there. I dont dress like an old maid unless I am at home. LOL

I agree with you Pixie --- on a formal occasion I will also dress so that my husband will be proud of his wife.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Off topic history lesson people.

A maid is a young female human between the ages of 13 to 20 who is unmarried. An old maid is 17 to 20 and still not married. The term comes from the medieval times when most young women were established as wives (church marriage or by family agreement) by the age of 15 or 16. Most young women had a husband at 14 or 15 years of age. Very few were not married by 16 or 17, most young women who weren't married by 18 years of age were ones that the family had trouble marrying off, for some reason or another; or the father doted on her and would only consider a match she preferred. To reach 18 years of age and not married made it seem she was not marriageable, and thus something to be pitied for not being able to catch a husband in any way. Thus, being an Old Maid was a major put down and social faux pas of the greatest magnitude.

In the last century or two, the trend to marry in the early teens has changed and the average age has slipped to much later, as has the average age at time of death. So some society groups have slipped the appropriate age for an Old Maid back as well, and now use it to refer to an unmarried woman in her mid to late 20s - having pushed it back a full decade.

Strictly speaking, the vast majority of the female population are, or have been, old maids; as they didn't marry before they were 18 years of age. Now, doesn't that make you feel a lot better? =d>
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
stfu then if its off topic....post it elsewhere....thank you
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Deadly

Strictly speaking, the vast majority of the female population are, or have been, old maids; as they didn't marry before they were 18 years of age. Now, doesn't that make you feel a lot better? =d>

Your erudition does little to endear you to we ex "old maids," Deadly. Our salvation may be that for those among us who lost our virginity, accidentally or deliberately, between the ages of 13-18 years, we were never ever truly absolutely genuinely old maids at the age of 19 years.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Deadly

Your erudition does little to endear you to we ex "old maids," Deadly. Our salvation may be that for those among us who lost our virginity, accidentally or deliberately, between the ages of 13-18 years, we were never ever truly absolutely genuinely old maids at the age of 19 years.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I never said the historical meaning or method made any sense - just what it meant. After being inspired by an earlier comment on how people dress.

Historically, most actual old maids dressed to attract men. Learning about all these origins and old meanings is fun, especially when you see how they're used today.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Deadly

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Now, did I say that the term had any relevance in this modern age?

I was trying to make a point about the oddity of the term when used by someone to describe a type, method, or standard of dressing. sign6:

To me, an old maid is a person employed in the position of a maid in a household (dusts, brings things, shows guests in, etc) and has been employed there for a reasonable period of time, or is significantly older than the other maids employed there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Deadly

To me, an old maid is a person employed in the position of a maid in a household (dusts, brings things, shows guests in, etc) and has been employed there for a reasonable period of time, or is significantly older than the other maids employed there.

There are still households like that ???????? Wait till I get my hands on my hubby
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Oh there are, and in most cases they have them wear those cute French maid outfits that are little more than see through tutus in black lace.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Deadly
Oh there are, and in most cases they have them wear those cute French maid outfits that are little more than see through tutus in black lace.

Ohhhh you don't mean regular households. Obviously some sort of mens' sex club.
Lurker
0 likes
Let's stick to the subject at hand, please. No mention of old maids in the original question.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Um, sorry, that was me that started that.......
Lurker
0 likes
Pixie, why, I oughta.....
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Hey atleast I fessed up!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
Gals, do you dress to impress men, other women, or yourself?

I think how you dress is a look into your psyche.
Speaking for myself, I'm out in public an awful lot and the need to dress impressively is most certainly expected of me. However, even if the outside pressure wasn't there i still would dress in the matter that displays my assets in the best light possible to my husband, and ultimately that makes me feel good about myself.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mostly I dress to be comfortable and stylish in that order. Of course the situation can change that.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Ladies, I am not sure what it is called, if it has some special name, but have you ever had your SO want you to get a tan line that goes across your nipples so that it looks like you wear your top with your nipple, or part of it, showing? And whether this has happened or not, would you do it for your SO? And finally, what do you think your SO gets out of the situation.

As they say on NPR, I'll take my answer off the air.

Cheers to All!
Lurker
0 likes
I dont think I dress to impress anybody, but I am creative, and I like to express myself through my clothes.

Honestly, you can tell in what mood I am by what I am wearing...

But

Going out on a date, I do enjoy wearing something that will knock his socks off, after all, he is buying me dinner...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Being married, I still try to dress how he likes me, certain colors, shorter skirts for date night than I wear to work, etc. I'm weird though, I'm comfortable in just about anything, so if it's super-dressy for work, fine, formal wear, fine, whatever. I think by still dressing how he likes for date nights though, is a way of showing him that even after almost ten years, I still like to impress and thrill him. Which I better do as much as possible as...I'm starting to show just a hint of a bump...
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Internet Sensation
0 likes
OH he will love that bumb as it grows bigger and bigger.

I dress to scare people! *laughs*
Lurker
0 likes
Depends where I'm going and who I'm with. I stick with my rockabilly/hotrod style and sometimes I happen to be looking like I'm on the pull, othertimes I just wanna be comfortable.
Lurker
0 likes
I know that with a man I dress how I want to. the only time I change how I dress for my Lover is when it goes darker. I think I feel more itimidated to dress differantly is when I see other women that dress really great and i look at what I'm wearing and think grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wish I could look as good as she does. But then I think nahhhh who cares I'm happy as I am in my Jeans and vest top. I don't want to totter around in heels all day ha ha