Whose daughter is Rey?

last reply
36 replies
2.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
J.J. Abrams has hinted in an interview that Rey's parents are not in episode 7, so this may mean she isn't the daughter of any character appearing in Star Wars, the Force Awakens.

So whose daughter is she?

Here's my theory...

When Rey finally wields Luke's light sabre against Kylo Ren, her fighting style most resembles that of Emperor Palpatine. She doesn't parry like a Jedi. She thrusts aggressively into her opponent very much like the Emperor did in Revenge of the Sith against Mace Windu and the Jedi who were sent to arrest Palpatine. She uses this same sabre thrust four times in her battle with Ben Solo, and I think it was done to suggest something about her lineage. Somehow, Rey is a descendant of Emperor Palpatine.

What's YOUR theory?
0 likes
My theory is that I need to watch The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi before I form an opinion. I do note that Keri Russell has joined Ep. IX in an as-yet unannounced role so maybe?
The Linebacker
0 likes
Wonder Woman's daughter. She's narrowed the dad down to Hans Solo, Spiderman, The Hulk, or the frozen sperm of Al Capone.

Lurker
0 likes
My theory is that Kathleen Kennedy fucked up star wars with her feminist bullshit....

This is what happens when someone puts more emphasis on selling Porg toys that actually making a good movie...
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
My theory is that Kathleen Kennedy fucked up star wars with her feminist bullshit....

This is what happens when someone puts more emphasis on selling Porg toys that actually making a good movie...

No girls allowed in the Force club, huh? lol And I think George Lucas sold a few Wookiee action figures in his time.
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Wonder Woman's daughter. She's narrowed the dad down to Hans Solo, Spiderman, The Hulk, or the frozen sperm of Al Capone.

Well, if we're going for cross-universe theories, then how about the male Starbuck from the original Battlestar Galactica slept with the female Starbuck from the reboot.Y6FbV2nBZmEBXecS
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Thanks a lot, Buz! Look what you've started!
The Linebacker
0 likes
Wookies were the gigolos of the universe.

Rey may be the Emporer's daughter. Or Luke's.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Beffer

No girls allowed in the Force club, huh? lol And I think George Lucas sold a few Wookiee action figures in his time.

Girls are totally allowed... But let's keep it the same as the original trilogy. I'm not one of those 30 year old basement dwelling virgins....

I'm one of the sexy nerds....
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Girls are totally allowed... But let's keep it the same as the original trilogy. I'm not one of those 30 year old basement dwelling virgins....

I'm one of the sexy nerds....

I think Rey as a character was awesome. Rose was horrible and the Admiral was used at the expense of fucking over Poe’s character.

I blame Kennedy and Johnson. StarWars greatly needs its own Kevin Feige.

That said, I think Abrams was hinting at something greater than what Johnson lazed out of with TLJ. And that damage may be irreparable. My thought was Obi-Wan given I have no unearthly reason why you’d have both actors voicing over when Rey touched Luke’s saber.
0 likes
I'm starting to think I don't really give a fig. I avoided the expanded universe (all the novels and comics and such that came out prior to the Disney buy-out). I largely disregard the prequels (though I do like the Clone Wars TV series, which is closer to what I imagined the prequels would be than the prequels). And I'm not really working up a lot of passion for seeing the new trilogy or the spin-offs. I'm kind of thinking that maybe Star Wars began and ended for me with the original trilogy. Others are welcome to the rest, but I can't see myself ever developing a passion for them. We'll see. Maybe that will change if/when I see the sequel trilogy. Right now, though, I'm far more pumped for the Sony-Legend monster-verse (Godzilla, Kong : Skull Island, and upcoming sequels) than anything Star Wars.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Beffer

That is a good point... however...

In order to get the original Star Wars made, Lucas had to not get paid. Instead he chose to to get the merchandising revenue. The studio said "sure" because before then action figures weren't really a thing.

He essentially created the modern "action figure."

But he didn't create characters with the sole intent of selling toys.

Plus... I ave the original Chewey it's not great....

I'm still looking for a Yoda though.......

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

I think Rey as a character was awesome. Rose was horrible and the Admiral was used at the expense of fucking over Poe’s character.

I blame Kennedy and Johnson. StarWars greatly needs its own Kevin Feige.

That said, I think Abrams was hinting at something greater than what Johnson lazed out of with TLJ. And that damage may be irreparable. My thought was Obi-Wan given I have no unearthly reason why you’d have both actors voicing over when Rey touched Luke’s saber.

Rey was a "Mary Sue." When you create a protagonist you have to give him/her negative aspects as well. They gave her no negative aspects at all. She was good at everything... she was pure of heart... it's a boring character...

Rose was a character concocted to try and sell tickets in China (Where Star Wars struggles.)

The reason that the MCU is successful, is that the Kevin Feige is a huge fan.... He knows the source material and respects it.

Kathleen Kennedy is a money person. She doesn't care about the source material. She has spit in the face of the male, basement dwellers that have kept this franchise alive for the last 30 years. I understand that she wants to sell merch to little girls... but you can't just insult the core audience that has kept this ridiculous franchise afloat for the past 3 decades and expect the fucking "Frozen" crowd to fill in the gaps left by angry 30 somethings with shelves full of Han Solo toys..
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Rey was a "Mary Sue." When you create a protagonist you have to give him/her negative aspects as well. They gave her no negative aspects at all. She was good at everything... she was pure of heart... it's a boring character...

Do you find Atticus Finch to be a boring character too?

Quote by DamonX

Rose was a character concocted to try and sell tickets in China (Where Star Wars struggles.)

The reason that the MCU is successful, is that the Kevin Feige is a huge fan.... He knows the source material and respects it.

Kathleen Kennedy is a money person. She doesn't care about the source material. She has spit in the face of the male, basement dwellers that have kept this franchise alive for the last 30 years. I understand that she wants to sell merch to little girls... but you can't just insult the core audience that has kept this ridiculous franchise afloat for the past 3 decades and expect the fucking "Frozen" crowd to fill in the gaps left by angry 30 somethings with shelves full of Han Solo toys..

...he's talking about YOU, Sprite! Are you just going to sit there and TAKE that?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

feminist bullshit? so, what about the other 99% of movies, directed by men, that are full of misogynist bullshit? oh, but that's ok, cause you know, men and all that - damn wimmin need to learn their place, right? as for porgs, got one word for you. Ewoks. personally, i thought the movies was better than most of the star war movies. why people are so gaga about them, i don't know. a run down.

a new hope. probably, at the time, pretty ground breaking as for as special effects go. story was pretty derivative and simple. fun, entertaining, not very deep.

empire strikes back. the best of the Lucas films. dark, daring, fun, a great twist.

return of the jedi. ewoks. took darth vader, one of the coolest villains ever and turned him into a cream puff. the final scene with all the ghosts and him looking like a smiling marshmallow ruined every appearance he'd made up until then.

the prequels. awful. jar jar binks. great actors phoning it in. both versions of Anikin, the child and the teen, so wooden and awful that they turned darth vader into a clown. i actually laughed at how ridiculous the scene where he got all his limbs cut off was - totally stolen from the black knight scene in Holy Grail. frankly, i was so annoyed by Anakin's petulant loser character that i stopped caring by the third movie.

the force awakens. fun, if derivative of the original series. obviously made for fan boys. i liked the characters a lot, especially Rey. Han's death was heartbreaking.

Rogue one. great movie. probably the best of the JJ run.

the final jedi. uneven, but great fun. the porgs were dumb, admittedly. better than most of the lucas films.

Solo. kinda lame, tho fun. Lando was the high point. Han was actually the low point.

all in all, a less than average series - why people deify it to the extent they do is beyond me.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

speaking of boring characters... Han Solo in Solo. Anakin in all 3 prequels. i liked Rey. guessing your problem with her was she was a girl. how dare a girl be good at shit? bet if the character was a guy and written the same, you'd be fine with it. i thought her conflicts in the second movie added plenty of depth.

again, dissing on the girls. you're ok with Leia, though, right? but only cause she ran around in that chain mail slave girl bikini in Return of the Jedi, yeah?

dude, you mean the male basement dwellers who sent hate mail and death threats the actresses who played Rose and Rey? not really the kind of fans i'd want to cater too either - the same fans, btw, responsible for gamergate. so yeah, fuck that audience - they deserve to be insulted. maybe you've been down in your basement too long to get that, but really, try going upstairs and look out a window once in a while. trust me, you'll thank me for it.

also, Frozen makes the star war films look like... well, what they are. kind of lame. not a single song in any of them, for starters, and Olaf is far more likable than Jar Jar Binks.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

That is a good point... however...

In order to get the original Star Wars made, Lucas had to not get paid. Instead he chose to to get the merchandising revenue. The studio said "sure" because before then action figures weren't really a thing.

He essentially created the modern "action figure."

But he didn't create characters with the sole intent of selling toys.

Plus... I ave the original Chewey it's not great....

I'm still looking for a Yoda though.......

oh, i have that yoda! makes a great cat toy - keeley's pretty much chewed off most of his head already. smile

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
The Force Awakens was effecrtvely a rerun of A New Hope with a cooler protagonist (Luke was pretty lame). I was very happy when I saw it in the cinema as I remembered just how much I loved Star Wars when I was a little boy and I hoped it would now perhaps appeal more to young girls too and bring them the same joy that the original triology had brought to me.

The Last Jedi and Rogue One were rather disappointing in my mind. Rogue One's master switch made me laugh though. It was just too ridiculous.

Anyway, who are Rey's parents? I don't care. She's Rey and she kicks intergalactic ass!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

The Linebacker
0 likes
My dad likes the Star Wars series. It came out when he was in college in the 1970s. The series is mostly entertaining, but there are a couple of them that are quite frankly, goofy.

I think the oldest three are the best scripted, and they were made before l was born. I've heard about how when the original came out that it had people standing in crazy long lines because there had never been a movie like it before.

I've never seen a Star Wars series movie at a theater, just catch them on TV.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

speaking of boring characters... Han Solo in Solo. Anakin in all 3 prequels. i liked Rey. guessing your problem with her was she was a girl. how dare a girl be good at shit? bet if the character was a guy and written the same, you'd be fine with it. i thought her conflicts in the second movie added plenty of depth.

again, dissing on the girls. you're ok with Leia, though, right? but only cause she ran around in that chain mail slave girl bikini in Return of the Jedi, yeah?

dude, you mean the male basement dwellers who sent hate mail and death threats the actresses who played Rose and Rey? not really the kind of fans i'd want to cater too either - the same fans, btw, responsible for gamergate. so yeah, fuck that audience - they deserve to be insulted. maybe you've been down in your basement too long to get that, but really, try going upstairs and look out a window once in a while. trust me, you'll thank me for it.
f even if KK had respect for the source material,

I don't have a problem with female characters. I don't like when people disrespect the source material. You'e a creative person... how would you like it it someone else came and changed your vision in order to sell more Happy Meals to Kids? I think that Rotten Tomatoes has it around 50%.... fans don't like it. I thought it was Ok. I gave it a 6.

I also liked the ewoks... It has nothing to do with female characters. but they need to be executed properly.....

By all means though continue to climb up on that cross and play the martyr....
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I don't have a problem with female characters. I don't like when people disrespect the source material. You'e a creative person... how would you like it it someone else came and changed your vision in order to sell more Happy Meals to Kids? I think that Rotten Tomatoes has it around 50%.... fans don't like it. I thought it was Ok. I gave it a 6.

I also liked the ewoks... It has nothing to do with female characters. but they need to be executed properly.....

By all means though continue to climb up on that cross and play the martyr....

if someone changed my vision, as in, i wrote a book and someone edited into something different, i wouldn't be happy. thing is, you don't own starwars - everyone has their own vision and you have every right not to like the vision that is presented. doesn't mean it's wrong or disrespecting the source material, just means it's different than yours. and, for the record, the porgs are simply the new ewoks.

"they need to be executed properly" Lucas ruined Anakin/Vader in his execution. Jar Jar SHOULD have been executed, but it's only the girls you're complaining about, so...

lol - sorry to disappoint you, but i'm not playing the martyr - simply giving you my opinion. and, as usual, anyone with a differing opinion, you find the need to discredit or name call. it's your MO. thing is, doesn't really work with me. smile

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

if someone changed my vision, as in, i wrote a book and someone edited into something different, i wouldn't be happy. thing is, you don't own starwars - everyone has their own vision and you have every right not to like the vision that is presented. doesn't mean it's wrong or disrespecting the source material, just means it's different than yours. and, for the record, the porgs are simply the new ewoks.

"they need to be executed properly" Lucas ruined Anakin/Vader in his execution. Jar Jar SHOULD have been executed, but it's only the girls you're complaining about, so...

lol - sorry to disappoint you, but i'm not playing the martyr - simply giving you my opinion. and, as usual, anyone with a differing opinion, you find the need to discredit or name call. it's your MO. thing is, doesn't really work with me. smile

jar Jar... are you kidding me? And yes, the last Jedi does fuck up the source material...

Please stop trying to play me as some kind of misogynist . it doesn't work.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

jar Jar... are you kidding me? And yes, the last Jedi does fuck up the source material...

Please stop trying to play me as some kind of misogynist . it doesn't work.

so, using your own tricks against you is unfair? *makes notes* gotcha. so you're cool with women and long as they don't have a feminist agenda then? btw, i do, so have at me. I totally want to be treated equally. i know, i ask for so much!

serious question, since i'm so very not a fan"boy" of SW - how does it fuck up the source material?

ps - Jar Jar pretty much discredited everything Lucas has ever done, imo.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I believe that Rey is a Kenobi. I don't know the exact timeline(s) so maybe she's his daughter but possibly his grand daughter.

They wear similar clothing when we first meet them.
The Star Wars movies are full of British actors, all who speak with non-British accents. Except for two (not counting C3PO)... Obi-Wan and Rey. There has to be a reason all those actors are not using their normal voice/accents.
The Force dream, we hear both Alec Guiness' and Ewan McGregor's. Obi-Wan pulled the lightsaber out of a wooden box, so did Rey. "Luke's" lightsaber was originally Anakin's. Obi-Wan gave it to Luke. In The Last Jedi, Rey gives it to Luke. Both times he's given his dad's sabre, he's given it by a Kenobi?
There's also the fact that, with no training, she's able to pull off the Jedi mind trick. Just like Obi-Wan. Maybe it's just in her genes to have such a handle of such a tough skill. No one else really pulls of that trick.
When Yoda and Ben are talking about Luke, Yoda says, "there is another". We assumed he meant Leia, but she never became a Jedi (despite that utterly ridiculous deep space Force move she pulled off), maybe Yoda knew about Rey.
The multiple times in the series when we see an epic battle between Skywalker & Kenobi. Including Rey and Kylo.

Personally, I always hoped she was a Skywalker. She can't belong to Luke or Leia, they'd recognize their own daughter. Maybe Palpatine, before he died, had extracted some of Anakin's/Vader's DNA to produce an heir. But, for symmetry's sake, she's probably a Kenobi.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by sprite

also, Frozen makes the star war films look like... well, what they are. kind of lame. not a single song in any of them, for starters, and Olaf is far more likable than Jar Jar Binks.

Frozen makes me wanna slit my wrists and has what is, in my opinion, one of the single worst songs Disney has ever put out and one of the most annoying songs in existence.

The problem with Last Jedi is that in order to “bring up/empower” female characters like Admiral Holdo, they had to tear down Poe. And to make Rose relevant, they had to tear down Finns character growth in FA.

I think Kennedy, personally, is out of her depth.

Anyway. To add. Like himself was a bit of a Gary Stue in the first movie.

Also. Liam Neeson and Ewan most certainly did not phone it in during the prequels.
Portman didn’t seem like she gave a shit though.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

Frozen makes me wanna slit my wrists and has what is, in my opinion, one of the single worst songs Disney has ever put out and one of the most annoying songs in existence.

The problem with Last Jedi is that in order to “bring up/empower” female characters like Admiral Holdo, they had to tear down Poe. And to make Rose relevant, they had to tear down Finns character growth in FA.

I think Kennedy, personally, is out of her depth.

Anyway. To add. Like himself was a bit of a Gary Stue in the first movie.

Also. Liam Neeson and Ewan most certainly did not phone it in during the prequels.
Portman didn’t seem like she gave a shit though.

yet another guy who hates women. typical. (and all of the songs in frozen are amazing, you hater. it's one of the top 10 movies ever made - no spiderman panties for you!)

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
From what I've seen in the leaked spoilers so far, I think I'm about to be vindicated!
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
...told ya so! :-)
0 likes
Quote by Beffer
...told ya so! :-)

Yeah, you got that one. I have not seen Rise (or any of the sequels) yet but am thoroughly spoiled and making her a relative of Palpatine was a nice touch IMHO.

OTOH, bringing back Grandpa has me debating whether to bother with Rise. Bringing back old villains who really should be dead (he was tossed into a the power plant of a Death Star for fuck's sake) is often a sign of lazy storytelling. I am not totally against this sort of retcon, but it is rarely done well.